Days of suffering ended!

INshedpicker

Reaction score
Here are pics of my very first home brew cam.  Preliminary tests have gone well.  Components include:  Owl PF Date, RS PIR, and Pelican case, Joe D's timer, and Archy's battery adapter.  The PIR and timer are powered with 4 'C' batteries (hidden behind camera), and the Owl is using 2 'C' batts.  As you all can imagine, it was a tight fit.  Any ideas for improvements?

(Edited by msfelton at 1:52 pm on Feb. 7, 2002)

(Edited by msfelton at 1:59 pm on Feb. 7, 2002)

Lew

Reaction score
No improvements needed, it looks great.  Trying to get my first one done and so far still fighting problems.  Congratulations.  Lew

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Looks great.  Does the hood over the lens help with rain pitures and fog or frost.

Also you have covered up the day/night sensor and the infrared receiver element by the day/night sensor.  This means your camera will flash all the time even in daylight and the auto focus will not work as well which is really a preference.  Some don't leave a whole and some do.  I personally think the pictures come out crisper with the extra hole.

Looks great and a nice job.

Also, you might have a problem with the unit taking a picture when you check it by opening the box.  If I am not mistaken JoeD's Timer has a provision for this but the button will have to be on the outside.

Later,
Brian

(Edited by Brian at 3:37 pm on Jan. 31, 2002)

BULL MOOSE

Reaction score
It looks good. I just ordered two pelicans that are 1 size bigger than the 1120. I think it was #1150 and the cost with shipping was $51.74 going UPS ground. The extra shipping only the 2nd box was only about $3 more. They are available in black or grey, there is about 1" difference of inside space on all sides.

i didn't think of it till now, but I probably only needed one with the foam inserts. This would have saved a few bucks.

(Edited by BULL MOOSE at 5:00 pm on Jan. 31, 2002)

ARKBOWHUNTER

Reaction score
Great looking camera.  Wish I could use a case like that but I've got too many bears in the neighborhood.

INshedpicker

Reaction score
Well, I tried to think of everything before I began, which was 2-3 months ago.  So far, I'm happy with my first attempt.  I appreciate all the kindly comments, and everyone here has been plenty helpful.

Brian, I found that it takes a whole lotta light to get the dern camera not to flash outside the box as it was, so I figured I wouldn't mess with it, as it will never get that much light in any sort of cover, especially if it is facing north to avoid sun exposure tripping the PIR.  But it would be nice to not have it flash in daytime though.  

Has anyone actually done side by side tests to see if uncovering the Auto Focus units makes any difference?  Can we say for sure that it wouldn't focus on the lense in the box?

The hood is meant to keep rain off the lense, but I cannot take credit for this idea.

As far as triggering a pic when getting into the box, it shouldn't be a problem.  I got around that two ways...one, if you look closely in the second pic, you can see the window I cut out above the Owl's pic counter/status window, so I shouldn't have to open the box to check on it.  Secondly, if I did want to open the box, I could simply throw the switch on the side to LED test mode instead of it's ready to shoot position.  I will probably have trouble seeing the pic count through the top, as the hole will collect water.

******, the smallest hole next to the viewfinder is the lighting sensor.  The other two "holes" are both part of the Auto Focus feature.  One is the emitter, the other is the reciever, so both would have to be uncovered for proper function.

(Edited by msfelton at 8:14 pm on Jan. 31, 2002)

Possum

Reaction score
That's a great looking camera.  I know you are proud of it.  Hope it gives you good service!

JoeD

Reaction score
WOW!!  That's one the best looking cameras I've seen.  You definitely put a lot of thought into making your camera.  

I really like the larger hole for the shutter.  What is the diameter of the hole?  Did you use welder's glass or did you find a lense that fits the hole?  The rain sheild is a great idea.  What did you use to make that?

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Real Professional Job, really looks good.  That Toggle Switch Location looks perfect, my switches hang out and are always getting tripped by brush or ?, your's seem to be protected pretty good........

One comment and I'll go, It may be the Pix Perspective but the Flash Hole looks a little small and may cause a "Tunnel" affect in the night time pix's ......

Good Job!

Tinhorn

Curtiss

Reaction score
Great looking job on your camera!!
As far as the auto focus, that some are asking about, the auto focus does it works in the day, but most of the pictures that most get are in the night. The auto focus has very little to see at night, so not very effective.  Again, very nice job.

INshedpicker

Reaction score
Joe D.,
I used a 55mm UV filter lense ($5 @local camera shop) for the shutter.  I used a 2-1/8" hole saw for the hole through the box and counterbored that hole from the back side with a 2-1/4" hole saw (slow and carefully not to go too far through).  Doing this gives a pretty close fit for the lense and sits nearly flush with the front of the box.  I also think if I could grind just a little off the 2-1/8" hole saw, I could've gotten the lense to thread into the box.  I really only did this to get more clearance inside the box, but think it is beneficial none the less.  I also had to sand down the back side of the 4 "C" battery holder which is behind the camera for more space.

The rain shield is 2" PVC sawed in half, probably only about 3/4" length (didn't want it getting in the way of the flash at all).  I figured using the whole section of PVC as ****** did could lead to having snow collected in it and block the shutter.  But, ******, you may take credit for my inspiration.:wink-yellow:

Tinhorn,
the only problem I had with the toggle switch location is there wasn't quite enough room between them and the PIR, so I cut out the back corner of it where the empty 9V battery location was.

I'm hoping the flash hole is large enough (I think it is 1-1/8" ) .  I think it will be because the flash unit is only about 1/4" from the box, and can't move.  Time will tell...

Just a note on using the Pelican 1120 in this manner, the camera won't fit unless the sides of the box are ground out to allow adequate room.  I began doing this with some sort of conical, spiral toothed grinding bit in a cordless drill, but it waw too tedious and switch to an air compressor at about 60-100 psi and made the job much easier.

And yes I am always long winded.

(Edited by msfelton at 7:59 pm on Feb. 1, 2002)

(Edited by msfelton at 8:00 pm on Feb. 1, 2002)

gizz

Reaction score
Very Nice msfeltom! You did avery nice job on that cam, it should serve you well.
Is it out yet?

Tinhorn

Reaction score

Your Flash Hole does look small, at least in the pix, and I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see a half moon flash ring on the ground when you look at some nite-time pix's (a flashlight beam affect)

As long as the Shutter Lens is not obscured any by the outside dia of the enclosure hole, I don't think the filter diameter is critical, especially, as you said, the shutter lens presses up against the filter.  But the Flash hole needs to be fairly large to let all the light out possible.

If my camera flash is centered in my 1-1/4" dia hole in the enclosure, I don't get any tunnel affect as far as I can tell.....

MSFelton,  since I don't seem to have a problem using a 1-1/4" dia hole, I imagine your 1-1/8" hole will be adequate, it didn't look that big in the pix........

Tinhorn

Latest Posts

Top Bottom