DC remote control

billy

Reaction score
Thought that this might be a good place to ask a question about remote control devices, everyone seems very noledgable on the topic of electronics.  By the way I did build my game camera around a year or so ago and it works great.  Anyway back to the topic at hand.  I was recently in my local hardware store and noticed that they are now carrying remote controle devices that you use to say turn on and off outside christmas lights.  The problem is of course that it runs off of 110 right now.  Well I just HAD to buy one and tinker with it, with no luck of course.  I have very limited noledge with electronics.  I am not sure if it is even possible, but I figured I would stop in and see if maybe any of you have any ideas or have maybe altered one already.  It is by far the cheepest remote device that I have come across at 9 bucks, and would be great if it could be converted over to run on DC power.  Any ideas?    Thanks

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi billy,
Without having the actual product "in hand" it's hard to say if it could be modified for DC operation.  Lots of these remote control devices send a signal through the household electrical system. If it is this type, it could not be modified for DC use.  If it's an Infra-Red or RF remote, modifications should be fairly easy.

Archilochus

billy

Reaction score
Well that would be my luck. I will say that there does appear to be an antena inside the plastic container that holds the board.  I could post a pic of the board, do not know if that is worth a try or not, but if anyone would like to have a see, I would be more than happy to take a shot or two.  It may not be possible to convert it, but I figured that for 9 bucks it was worth a try.  

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Billy

Go ahead and scan the board (both sides)  if you don't mind and have the time.  Probably won't be able to tell much but I'd like to see it.  

One thing to look at is the Voltage Rating of the Electrolytic Caps (the bigger ones with +/- on them)  If some are 16vdc then I bet the system runs on 9volts, etc....Might be able to look up an IC and see what Vcc Volts it runs on

one worry is Current Draw from a battery

I am building a Burglar Cam Unit, a PIR inside a huntin' cabin will turnon a Movement Cam hidden outside (for 30 min's), a remote control might be easier to use rather than hiding a long wire between the inside PIR and Outside cam.....

How were you planning on using it?

Thanx

Tinhorn

billy

Reaction score
well, at the present, I have no real plans, other than maybe slapping it onto my game cam to eliminate the switch.  Just to try it out.  I remember looking for simple on/off button remotes in the past though, that run off of dc, and they were all expensive, 40-50 bucks.  However, Iam a big tinker're and do more than my share of hunting and fishing.  If it works, I will find something to do with it. hehehehehe  I will get some pictures here in a pic and post them.  Thanks for the reply

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi billy,
Sounds like an RF remote - maybe.  The big problem with the typical "household" RF remote is the *reciever* power consumption.  The reciever is generally powered from the household line voltage so the designers do not put much thought into power saving features.
A while ago I tried some RF remote battery powered "doorbell" things from Radio Shack.  They had fairly low power consumption - but the range was lousy - about 35-45 feet.

Digi-key sells Linx RF RX/TX modules at about 20 US$ for the pair.

You can also check:
http://www.geocities.com/archilochus57/rf_tx.html
for more manufacturers.

Good Luck!,
Archilochus

billy

Reaction score
One last try.  Any one else have any ideas or suggestions? Besides jsut forgetting it of course. he he he    

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Altho you took excellent pix's and I appreciate your work, I can't tell much unfortunatly, Sorry!

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi billy,
Looks like an RF remote.  The transmitter is a little handheld job, right??  You should be able to modify the remote without too many problems - but like I mentioned before - power consumption will most likely be pretty high at the receiver.

Archilochus

Latest Posts

Top Bottom