dead batterys

dac

Reaction score
My Non Typical deer cam for some odd reason is starting to eat new batterys in less then a week. Any suggestions on what could be causing this before I send it back? The camera battery is fine but it sure has developed a heck of a appetite for 9volts.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi dac,
Does the unit work other than the quick battery drain??  If so, maybe check the PC board and battery clip for corrosion.  On the PC board, check around the power rails before and after the voltage regulator.  Look for blackened, or greeish, or whitish powdery deposits.  If you find some, clean it off with 100% isopropyl alcohol (not the 70% 'drug-store stuff) or denatured alcohol.  Watch the static while cleaning - touch a grounded object (metal plumbing, metal outlet) while working.
If you found corrosion and cleaned it off, let dry thoroughly (maybe use a heat-gun or blow dryer) and then spray the PCB with clear coat.

If the unit is still in its 'guarantee' period, don't do a thing to it or you'll probably void the guarantee - just send it back.

Archilochus

shufigo

Reaction score
Dac - I've got a Non-Typ that I put out with my homebrews. There's a reason the homebrews use 1 9v and the non-typ uses 2!!  They just eat more juice. I had mine out for 2 wks prior to picking it up this weekend, and it had not fired - and the batts were just down to 8V. Luckily the local KMart has a clearance on Energizer 9V batts for 50 cents each in packs of 4. They don't expire till Jan 04, so I'm just putting new batts in each week -- costs me a buck a week to keep it topped off. One more reason to build em yourself.

dac

Reaction score
Shufigo mine use to get decent battery life. This seems to have started after I had the little ant proplem that I posted about .Also the guy at Non Typical said when you are changing the batterys and you take out the old ones he said let the board set for a minute or two before installing the  new ones.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
dac Welcome to JHP. When you change your batts(I'm assuming there's two 9v) do you change them both at once or do you test them and change the weakest? You should change them both at the same time. Sometimes when you have two batts and just change one the new one will drain down fast.LOL

dac

Reaction score
TN always both I just cant help but to think it has somthing to do with the possible residue my little ant friends left me. Maybe just enough of a conducter to short somthing out who knows.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom