"Dead Coyote" shot for geese ?

AZ Jim

Reaction score
Last year I tried the new Hevi Steel shot for ducks and was very impressed. So far it is my favorite duck load as it beat out my favorite Federal Premium high velocity copper plated steel in number #2 shot that I was using.

Prior to that I tried the original Hevi-Shot #4 and was unimpressed. This year I tried the new "Dead Coyote" load they came out with for a fall turkey and it hammered one for me at 65 yards. I am thinking this may be a good load for geese. I see that it is approved for waterfowl.

Anyone try it yet?

Az Jim

The BILL Collector

Reaction score
Yes,
it is amazing stuff.
The penetration is better than lead.
It hits harder than lead.
It kills farther than lead.
I have seen coyotes killed cleanly at 60 yards, but for waterfowl it is illegal to use here in California on the refuges. If you are on private land it would be pretty devastating for geese, even at fairly long distances.
I am suprised you were unimpressed with the hevi-shot 4's. It's a good load.
Just my.....

sidepass

Reaction score
Bought some, haven't had a chance to try it yet. Will make it up to the family rice this next sun, mon.Hopefully 4 speckelbelly prove the worth of "Dead Coyote" per day that is.Will let you know.

sidepass

DaRabbit

Reaction score
ooooooo yes!!! many times and everytime it is extremely sucsessful!!!

-rabbit

duckboy1

Reaction score
thought about but yet to get it. would be good for hybrids, colars and blues

COHunter

Reaction score
There's a couple of guys I know that claimed to have dropped snows out to 100 yards.

It would make sense. They claim because of the altitude here, we gain an extra 10-15 yards of killing range and I know I've poked some birds waaaaaaaaay out there with BBB.

There was an article by Brezny or whatever his name is in Waterfowl Magazine about the increased range we get here at over 5,000 ft elevation a few years back

Bill in San Jose

Reaction score
It's illegal in refuges because it's T sized shot, and BBB is the largest goose load, correct?

My son's buddy has an old Ithica 10 gauge 30 inch duck gun and with the hevi shot T coyote loads claims he has killed geese at 100 yards.

Beretta391

Reaction score
Ive never tried it, but it sounds like a devistating load. Doesit leave gaping holes in the bird?
65 yards is a bit of a poke, but on a nice close bird i would imagine that it would destroy it. What does that stuff cost?

GB Jack

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (COHunter @ Nov 29 2006, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There's a couple of guys I know that claimed to have dropped snows out to 100 yards.[/b]

I can back up that claim as I haev seen it done myself, even done it a few times that were "close" to the length you describes. bringing down a snow is nothing compared to bringing down a honker, and I have seen "DC" do devastating things to honkers at 65 yards, killing cleanly You had BETTER make sure of whats behind what your shooting at with this load though, becuase it is lethan WAY beyond what normal shells are. just me two sense!

DumptheDrake

Reaction score
Can anyone explain why Dead Coyote would be banned on refuges and not be banned on the whole flyway.? ? I noticed this year a big sign in the Kesterson check station saying "nothing larger than BB " and yet I saw nothing at the Tulelake spaced blind check station with the same limitation ? ? DC is the best goose load I've shot since F steel was banned maybe 15 yrs ago or so in CA (but not in Oregon ! ) I shot Specks and Honkers IN Alberta , CAN last year and went through a few boxes of DC and it is awesome. But honestly, I shot a snow goose at Kern Refuge on Nov 15th at 50 yrds with Federal Hi-Density 2 shot and it seemed to rock him just as hard -(breaking both wings )as any Canada bird . Maybe someone can explain -is the ban only on refuges or is what is being said "you will only get checked /cited on a refuge ' ?? or do you mean " you are more likely to be checked on a refuge"

real green

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DumptheDrake @ Nov 29 2006, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Can anyone explain why Dead Coyote would be banned on refuges and not be banned on the whole flyway.? ? I noticed this year a big sign in the Kesterson check station saying "nothing larger than BB " and yet I saw nothing at the Tulelake spaced blind check station with the same limitation ? ? DC is the best goose load I've shot since F steel was banned maybe 15 yrs ago or so in CA (but not in Oregon ! ) I shot Specks and Honkers IN Alberta , CAN last year and went through a few boxes of DC and it is awesome. But honestly, I shot a snow goose at Kern Refuge on Nov 15th at 50 yrds with Federal Hi-Density 2 shot and it seemed to rock him just as hard -(breaking both wings )as any Canada bird . Maybe someone can explain -is the ban only on refuges or is what is being said "you will only get checked /cited on a refuge ' ?? or do you mean " you are more likely to be checked on a refuge"
[/b]
In the regs you'll find,

IMPORTANT NOTE: In addition to the regulations on shot size found in Section
551 (b)(3), the use or possession of shot size larger than BB in non-toxic shot
other than steel is prohibited on State and Federal wildlife areas.

With the concentration of hunters in a small area, the chance of DC pellets hitting and injury another is to high. The down range energy is to great to be safe.

DumptheDrake

Reaction score
Thank you for your informative response Real Green So I guess DC is legal in California non-refuge public areas and private clubs. Even in those areas, the safety issue obviously remains but the violation does not.

CA_pheasant

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (real green @ Nov 30 2006, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DumptheDrake @ Nov 29 2006, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b]
In the regs you'll find,

IMPORTANT NOTE: In addition to the regulations on shot size found in Section
551 (b)(3), the use or possession of shot size larger than BB in non-toxic shot
other than steel is prohibited on State and Federal wildlife areas.

With the concentration of hunters in a small area, the chance of DC pellets hitting and injury another is to high. The down range energy is to great to be safe.
[/b][/quote]

So I can legally use T steel on the refuges?

I shot a bunch of snows and a couple specks over the past couple years. Anywhere from Hevi-Shot #4, to steel #2, to Bismuth #2, to steel T. Maybe it's my shooting but the steel T by far did the best (or maybe I had a lucky streak). I shot 10 snows from one box of T's (not the same day).

This summer from Cabela's I bought a case (10 boxes) of 3" BB for $65 (Wolf) including a plastic box that holds 10 boxes. That's about 25 cents per shell. Beats the heck out of Hevi-Shot at $2.50/shot.

I'll be shooting steel BB this season. waiting for high winds in the rice fields. Best memories: sitting against a rice check with dog and limit of geese, as squadron after squadron of snows pass over low and slow.

CA_pheasant

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GB Jack @ Nov 29 2006, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (COHunter @ Nov 29 2006, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a couple of guys I know that claimed to have dropped snows out to 100 yards.[/b]

I can back up that claim as I haev seen it done myself, even done it a few times that were "close" to the length you describes. bringing down a snow is nothing compared to bringing down a honker, and I have seen "DC" do devastating things to honkers at 65 yards, killing cleanly You had BETTER make sure of whats behind what your shooting at with this load though, becuase it is lethan WAY beyond what normal shells are. just me two sense!
[/b][/quote]

Good point about snow vs honker. I've shot snows the size of large mallards, or the size of a pheasant.

MQ

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I've shot snows the size of large mallards, or the size of a pheasant.[/b]
That would be called a ross goose..........

CA_pheasant

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MQ @ Nov 30 2006, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
I've shot snows the size of large mallards, or the size of a pheasant.[/b]
That would be called a ross goose..........
[/b][/quote]

You're right.

My point was a very rough comparison of the relative sizes of a snow goose (small) and a honker (large)
Large geese are 3x or 4x the size of small geese. Species matters.
I didn't get into the snow vs ross's size, since the comments earlier noted snow.

Top Bottom