Dead Heads in California?

Bankrunner

So your out in the field and you find a skull with a nice set antlers attached. Is it legal to pick up and take home?

Revo2811

Interesting I would pick it up. Won’t claim it as trophy but will make a nice decoration. I don’t think it’s legal. You can’t can’t even pick up pine cones.

huntingcali

I believe you just need to notify fish and wildlife to have them give you a permit to take the dead head.

Fredezee

From what I have read in the DFW Q&A, it is LEGAL to pick up Deer Skulls with antlers attached EXCEPT in local regional parks where you can NOT even take shed antlers. Also, EXCEPT for Big Horn sheep skulls (horns) and Elk Skulls with antlers attached are NOT legal to collect. During hunting season, it still is legal to collect deer skulls with antlers but you will have some explaining to do. Make sure there are no fresh flesh or skin on it. Those are the red flags.

Fredezee

Search "collecting antlers" in their Q&A. There is no provision prohibiting collecting of skulls with antlers attached (Except Big Horn Sheep). I believe Elk is allowed. Collecting is prohibited in wildlife refuges, local parks. Public and private land, OK. This post/question was from 2012. So it may have changed now.

Top Bottom