Dead Zones?

coachdog

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm new to GPS after having acquired a Magellan ColorTrack (circumstances described in an earlier post). Anyway, I took it out to Lake Balboa Park in Encino to play around with it and try to get the hang of things. This is a huge, wide-open space with no real tree cover to speak of, but I couldn't get a fix anywhere. I walked a course about a mile around and never got a blip. Any idea why this would be? The only thing I could figure is that the park is right near the Van Nuys airport and maybe there are certain places where commercial GPS receivers aren't permitted to operate. Anything to this theory?  I know the unit works, I've tried it elsewhere, I just can't imagine why I couldn't get a position. What do you think?

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Shouldn't matter if it's a commercial or military unit, you should get some signal atleast.  If the gov't want's to make the signal unavailable they turn the Selective Availiblity off and then you are not near as accurate in your postition.

Todd

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is something real strong interfering with your GPS receiver at that location. Never see it before with GPS but have seen interference wipe out the front end of a radio receiver before.

Any big motors or inductive machinery running nearby? Big power lines?

You coulda found one of them Bermuda Triangle thingies too.

MNTNMAN

Reaction score
It could have just been a lack of visible satellites. And keep in mind that you will never be any between N45W and N45E. Atleast in Oregon. The farther south you go the smaller that area gets. I think it is trimble that has the charts showing PDOP spikes for any day you want, which is also nice to know.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom