Decision dilemma?

canamrider07

Reaction score
If you read my last thread "back from California" I wrote the the groomsmen, including myself, got stuck in an elevator on the way to the wedding. Now the building was only three floors so we were not going to plunge to our deaths. But in the elevator we had limited cell service and the emergency button did not work. All we could do is push the loud buzzer button and wait. There was no way out either, the top was steel with no hatch and the door would not budge. We had 10 guys in it and it was kind of scary. We got out after around 20 minutes and headed out to the wedding. The events leading taking the elevator from the 3rd floor down were this: The elevator had been "out of service" so I was leading the group to the stairs and had the stair door open when one of the group said the 'elevator is working". No second thoughts, so we all got on the elevator. Before this, I have been seeing and thinking about some of these tragedies, such as that Duck Boat that sunk and 17 people died, and being in Santa Barbara the dive boat fire that killed 34 people. Now you can't live your life being scared of these type of activities, especially all of us being outdoorsmen, but you have to really think these things through, and you might have only a few seconds to do this. I'm just saying, don't always depend on someone else's judgement, try and think through some of these situations. It is not easy, but you could save the people you care about and yourself with a simple, "no we are not going" or "let's do it this way". Stay safe...

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Interesting experience and I am sure there were a few very tense moments. I think there are times in life when you are better off going with your gut feelings on what is best for you and maybe not going with the crowd. For me that is always wearing my life jacket in a boat. Some guys think I am overly cautious but it is my decision.

P304X4

Reaction score
Sometimes life just takes you by surprise, many of which are not pleasant. More than once I've been blessed to either be in the right place at the right time or have the presents of mind to be able to save myself and help those near me. All you can do is try to be alert of your surroundings and take the best precautions possible.

Limited Out

Reaction score
The main take-a-way from spending a career as a first responder is the more hairy things would get, the more focused and calm you need to become. Served me well!

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Had the same experience a couple years ago when me and my wife were at the Greyhound track and we were on the 3rd. Floor at the clubhouse stadium. I went to take the elevator back to the second floor for some drinks and hotdogs told my wife i will b right back and ended up getting stuck in the elevator with two other people. The service bell didn’t work either and now my wife has no idea what happened to me since I was gone for a little bit. It was the first time in my life getting stuck in one and I wasn’t too happy but 15 minutes later the elevator started working again. After that experience every time we went back to the track I started using the stare case. It was a very small elevator too, thank god everyone used deodorant that day.....lol
Truthfully I don’t would I would of done to get out of that situation but try and patient and hope for the best. My wife was wondering what the heck happened to me as the dog races started with out me and I didn’t like being separated from her like that knowing what happened to me she would worry for sure when I didn’t come back right away as I usually do.
To b stuck with ten people in a elevator that had to b interesting during that experience, I wouldn’t mind being stuck in a elevator with ten Victory Secret Super Models.....lol.....tra

P304X4

Reaction score
If I had to be stuck in an elevator for any length of time I would hope the pizza delivery person would be stuck with me. At least we wouldn't be hungry. LOL

Top Bottom