Decision time for a junior hunter

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
This is the first year for my grandson to apply for deer tags and he and his dad are trying to figure out a strategy for juniors. The way we see it you can try 2 different types of hunts. You can apply for the late top quality type hunts that take max points and hope that in 4 years you get lucky. You can apply for hunts that take less than max points and possibly get 2 junior hunts before you turn 16. I don't think the first year is too critical since it appears that all junior hunts require at least one point unless you hit a random tag. Random tags have much better odds for juniors than for us adults and like others have said someone will hit the random tag.

My grandson has said he is fine with hunting on an either sex tag so that might be something he applies for. My first deer at age 12 was a doe way back when Monterey County allowed anterless hunts. I didn't shoot my first buck until I was 14.

If we handled hunting and fishing with juniors they way my father and that age group let their kids hunt and fish I think child services would press charges and try to take the children away from the parents. My how things have changed. I would not see my dad all day on some days of hunting and fishing and I carried a 30-06.

Since we are all bored at home I will start another thread on my first 2 deer.

Gvcrosby

Reaction score
This is my son's final year in the Apprentice draw. He pulled Hunter Liggett at 13 with 1 point. He got shut out for 2 years and then burned his points in the General Draw on X1. This is his final Apprentice draw (he turns 18 on 7/2). It's a safe bet he'd pull a tag this year with 3 points if it wasn't for X1 last season. Unless a kid gets really lucky, 2 Apprentice draws is about all you can ask for, I think.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Starting this year juniors have to be 16 or under like a few years ago. No more 17 or 18 year old juniors. Apparently the temporary change to 18 was not renewed.

Planetcat

Reaction score
My twins were lucky and were juniors while the limit was raised to 18 y.o. We didn’t go for trophies and both if them got two good hunts in each as apprentice hunters. Either sex hunts at FHL got us two bucks and one doe, and one got a cow elk at grizzly island. One also got the joice island junior pig hunt, but did not get a pig. If you apply based on best odds, you should have some fun opportunities for the duration of the junior hunt period.

Planetcat

Reaction score
And like I told my kids, once you’re an adult, you will probably never get a chance to shoot a delicious doe in California.

duckdude

Reaction score
Actually have to be 15 before July 1st to be considered a Junior hunter this year.

nickman123

Reaction score
Wow. So if a 17 yr old kid had been putting in for a hunt like round valley every year thinking he'd have one more chance this year with "max junior points", he's just screwed?? They truly want to get rid of hunting in this state. In AZ, you can apply as a Junior starting at age 10 until you're 18. And it's only $15 to apply, even as a non-res. They have great junior hunts. Jr cow elk tag is only $60 for a non-res. Even if you don't get drawn for anything your kid can have 8 points by age 18 for only $120 total.

blazintowers

Reaction score
yah that's pretty messed up for Jr's that were hoping and praying for that last chance at a special tag. anyone that was a JR prior to this change should have been able to apply until 18, leave it to the CADFG to rain on a kids dream! BS.

essmanfam2

Reaction score
My oldest son is 0-2 on the FHL draw. This year is his brother's first chance at a deer tag and they both decided to try for J12... fingers crossed!

beancounter04

Reaction score
The change in age really messed things up for my daughter who is 16. Last year she was going against kids who had 5 points when she had 3. Now she has 4 points for elk and pronghorn but is up against max points adults. I had put her in each year since 12 thinking by the time she is 17 she had at least a decent chance at a great tag. I don't think I would have done that if this was the outcome. She never had a chance. Great year to be 15 year old though. I hope your kid has better outcome. 3 points to draw a great junior tag.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom