Decoys

duckme

Reaction score
I have 2 bull sprig decoys that  I  would like some info. about  if  anybody knows.The first one seems to be a canvas material that is stuffed,and has the name on the bottom of MACAL DUKOY.The next one is alittle harder canvas that is stuffed and has some writing on the bottom not all is readable but this is what is SCOTT CO------------ OAKLAND CALIF these seem to be a manufactured decoy,can anybody tell me what I have?

jerry d

Reaction score
Did some poking around and found a little info on Scott Co decoys but nothing on Macal Dukoy.

Your Scott Co. Decoy was made in Oakland Calif and is apparently worth $150 - $250 in excellent condition.

Try http://www.google.com and type in Scott Company decoys. Not much info but might be a good place to start.

Sounds like you may have some collector decoys.

(Edited by jerry d at 1:28 am on July 5, 2001)

duckme

Reaction score
Thanks jerry,these decoys are in excellent condition

Thonzberry

Reaction score
I going to try my luck for the first time Hunting the Big Bird and I was think of using a decoy. How far should I have the Decoy from me???????? and what type?????? Thanks

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Thonz >> A lot of good advice posted already.

25 yards and step it off so you have a known range when the bird approaches.

Also I think I'd skip the jake deke for now. A hen or two should do the trick. Jakes are legal game here in NC and someone might just try to sneak up and take him.

Wolfman has the straight skinny's on the safety issue's. Be careful. If you do see someone sneaking up on your deke's don't move just signal that your a hunter, with a loud clear voice.

I've had guys coming into my calling. And it is the one thing about turkey hunting that really bothers me.

Good Luck, hunt safe.

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
Just my two cents...  I have had better luck without the decoys where the birds have a good field of veiw.  The gobblers get in sight and start displaying, waiting for the hen to come to them.  

Possum

Reaction score
I used to use them a lot, but now I don't just because of the time and bulkiness of carrying them in my vest.  However, set them up within shooting range.  Don't bunch them together.  If a Tom sees this he thinks something may be wrong to cause the group to bunch up.  Most feeding birds have  acomfort zone around them.  Also, the Jake will be challenged by the bird if one is out.  So put the jake where you want to shoot the gobbler at.  He will most always challenge the jake before he gets to the hen.  One of the best sets I have ever put out was the jake breeding the hen.  I was doing this 10yrs ago before they made the decoy breeding sets.  It works.  But as everyone else has said --be careful.  It is sometimes dangerous and can be funny to watch someone "stalk" your decoys.  It is very hard to tell a decoy from the real thing without a good pair of glasses and short distances.  

Thonzberry

Reaction score
I guess wering a Blaze orange jump siut would not be a good idea (just kidding).

PowDuck

Reaction score
I generally set out 1 or 2 decoys. Either a hen and jake or 2 hens. Usually set them out around 20 yards from me that way if the gobbler comes in but hangs up short of the decoys I can still guage the distance to a good shot more effectively.

Just use common sense in your setup. Heed the advise of the other posters above. Woodsense is always more important that decoys or other hunting aids.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom