Deer Baiting Recipes

D

djhones

Please leave a post with your favorite recipies for baiting deer or other game animals such as turkeys.  Also, describe why you use this bait and the effect it has on the animals.

D

djhones

One guy I knew fermented corn in 5 gallon plastic pails. He would fill the pail about 3/4 full of corn, mixing in yeast with the corn, then filling to the top with luke warm water.  In some time the corn would ferment to a mash.  He would feed this to the deer at his stand and claimed they loved it.  My own observations showed they ate it, after getting used to the defferent smell.  I found it did not spook the deer, nor was it any better than plain corn. Maybe I did not use it long enough

Fubar

Reaction score
Baiting is not legal in CA             Fubar

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I'm wondering where DH is from?  I know we have acquired hunters from lots of other states on this board.  

Personally, I don't like hunting over bait.  Did it a couple of times in NC where it's not only legal, but encouraged...but shooting an animal you've trained to come to the feed trough didn't do it for me.  

My brother swears by it, though.  He uses shelled corn, and plants clover and rye grass around the stand.  Last year he planted a whole garden, with peanuts, sweet potatoes, and sunflowers...but the hurricane cleaned it out before deer season.  Karma?  

BigDog

Reaction score
If I am going to feed an animal and train it with food to come to a certain spot........ well, I guess I would just stop hunting and go back to buying beef.
Hunting for me is the challenge of outwiting them on their turf. I have had many hunts that I did not get a thing but had so much fun trying to outwit them that I was happy as a clam driving home empty handed. Putting meat in the freezer is just icing on the cake for me.

D

djhones

DH is from Wisconsin.  Baiting is a big business in Nortern Wisconsin, so much to a point that at many places if you don't bait to bring game at least past your area, another person' s bait pile will bring them into their area.  I would prefer not to hunt over bait.

HUNTER12

Reaction score
im 12 so my dad and i do hunt at a bait in or woods. we neverget ne thing but when i was 7 two older does and one younger one came by us in bow season, i missed but it was cool. alsowe once had a deer run strate at us till he saw us:rofl

Welby

Reaction score
A couple of months ago I checked out an experimental salt lick I made last year.  To my surprise, there in its place was a 4ft diameter hole nearly a foot deep in places.

Just fifty feet away was a lick I had made using Deer Cocaine.  It was untouched.

My experimental mix included the following ingredients.

Regular Table Salt  (Not sure how much, but a bunch)
Brier Rabbit Molasses  (3 bottles)
Baking Soda  (Three or four big boxes)
Baking Powder  (About two or three cans)
Water  (Enough to thin the molasses and dissolve the salt when heated, probably two or three gallons)

Quantities are not really that important just so long as it tastes good.

Honestly, this stuff worked much better than I anticipated.  Since then, I have introduced quite a bit more of this stuff to the wilds where I hunt.  Deer are already hitting it as well.

D Letho

Reaction score
  I went to a seminare about food plots and other food related items for deer last year. David Blanton and Mike waldel (sp) were there from Real Tree. They claim baiting is not a good thing to do ! The main thing it does is tell the deer the food source is going to be there all the time making the deer come to it when it feels safe. After shooting hours at night.

They claim the reasons food plots work is that the food source is there 24/7 all year. Most people that bait do it a couple of weeks before and during the season. Making the deer be verry carefull and coming to it at night since it is not use to it.

I would much rather find the deers own food source Acorns or what ever it is at the time and hunt that. A main deer run works about the best for me.

Just thought I would pass on what Team Real Tree stated.
                        Don

rutnduck

Reaction score
Hunter12, what kind of bow are you shooting, and were you shooting this at age 7?  Wondering what brand it is as my son is almost 7 and will wanting a bow soon.  tks

hucklburry

Reaction score
I don't see baiting as much different than hunting a corn or bean field really. The studies I have read showed hunters were marginally MORE successful WITHOUT bait. The biggest concern I have is that you deliver it in such a way as to prevent nose to nose contact of the deer to avoid TB and CWD. Everything I read says its spread via nose to nose contact. A big ole bait pile is a good place for that to happen.

Thats all I really wanted you to consider, good luck!!!

--Jim

Welby

Reaction score
I agree with D Letho about hunting over natural food sources such as acorns, honeysuckle, or whatever else they are eating.

My experience with food plots, for the most part, has been that they will draw the deer in, but as soon as they sense any hunting pressure they immediately go nocturnal to use them.  The most success I have seen hunting with food plots is to hunt the trails leading to the food plots.

According To My Experience
Deer tend to travel to food plots on a few main trails, but once closer to the food plot they split up and wait for dark on various what I call staging trails.  Once it is dark, then they finally approach the field or plot.  If you back off of a food plot to the few main trails you will be much more successful that hunting directly over the plot.  Again, that's just my experience.

What I Think About Food Plots
As hucklburry said, to me food plots are no different than other means of baiting.  But, it's the only legal way to bait in Mississippi.  There was a chance that baiting would have been legalized this year, but that amendment was defeated.  Personally, I was disappointed, but I could argue both sides of the issue.

Baiting doesn't always necessarily increase hunting success and it can sometimes lead to the introduction and spreading of potentially fatal diseases in the wildlife population.  However, in our state where deer are overpopulated in many areas, I thought it would have been a good thing to help get them under control.

I must say, thought, that in my opinion baiting does not add to the enjoyment of hunting.  It does help get them to travel in areas where perhaps they might not normally go.

I use the salt/mineral licks to provide them with minerals they need and also to get an idea of what and how many deer are in the area.  By the way, in that recipe above, I left out the trace minerals available from farm supply stores.

empa

Reaction score
rutnduck, I have two girls 7 and 8 that bugged the heck out of me to shot a bow when I practice. I bought them a PSE kids compound bow. It's nice but they are still to small to pull it all the way back. I have to help them, which is fine with me. If you don't mind helping him with each shot they can grow into a compound. This compound has no draw weight and would never have enough to kill a deer. I don't know what a kid 7-8 could pull and kill a deer. If you want to pratice a kids recurve is nice becuase it doen't matter how far he pulls it back and it teaches him the basics. It's a ton of fun watching them get excited when the hit the three D target. He gets shot in the ass allot.

shadow

Reaction score
EMPA..
My daughter is 7 and is shooting a Compound bow.  The draw length is a bit long still but the bow has an ajustable draw weight from 4 to almost 12 lbs I think.  She has lots of fun shooting at her target while I pratice on mine, we turn it into a compition and to keep it fun she beets me alot.  It was only about $70 or $80.  In the state of Texas any bow has to have at least a 45 lb draw weight before it can be used for Hunting animals.  I have friend who's wife shoots with a 45 lb draw weight and has killed several deer and a four horn sheep and a couple of hogs.  She wouldn't recommend a shot longer that 25 or 30 yards though nor shooting anything bigger than 100 lb hog.  To help my daughter I added a new rest which is a complete circle called a "Whisker Biscuit Arrow Rest" which helps keep the arrow on and not falling off while she trys to pull back.  Good Luck.

kingpossum

Reaction score
<font size="6"></font><font color="Black"></font>

i've never put out corn, beans, etc.. for deer or other wildlife, altho i do set out mineral blocks for them AFTER the season is over, for suppliments...i figure if you're going to "bait" deer, you're in the same catagory as spotlighting them at night...

polecat55

Reaction score
isn't that --like--baiting them for next season?:smile-wink:

(Edited by polecat55 at 5:06 pm on Aug. 11, 2002)

Arkhunter

Reaction score
Baiting is a legal and accepted practice in many parts of the country.

Whether you agree with the practice or not, how can you put people who do it in the same category as someone who goes out at night and shoots a deer with a spotlight which is illegal?

Top Bottom