Deer decoys

VA Hunter

Reaction score
Howdy!
  I am going to buy a 3D Deer Decoy/Target.  I was thinking, if I shoot the decoy with my bow, the decoy will have holes all on it.  I know there are replacement vital areas but you miss it occasionally.  Wouldn't the wholes in the decoy affect the deer?  If it does, what could I do to hide them?  Thanks,

Bubba

D Letho

Reaction score
bubba,

Just my thought and I could be way off with this !!! I do not think you want to use a 3D target as a decoy. A mature buck and any deer for this fact pays attion to how a deer is standing there. Most of your 3D targets have the deer at the  alert or WHAT THE H*LL IS THAT OVER THERE look to them. I would think you would get alot better responce to a feeding decoy. As I put in all my post like this...."it just my 2 cents" good luck with it.

Also you can buy a repair kit for the 3D target in Cabelas. It is called Magic Fix Target Repair. Item #MN- 41-0263.
                                                Don

VA Hunter

Reaction score
It's not at an alert position, it is facing straight out.  would just a few single holes bother the deer?

Thanks,

Bubba

miked

Reaction score
I just bought a doe deer decoy. What is the best way to position the decoy in relation to your stand?  Will the deer approach the decoy from the front, back or sides?  

I assume I will want to setup the decoy facing to my left or right and facing the direction of normal deer travel.

Any ideas?

Gettin ready for cooler weather!!! I can hear the acorns falling!!!

Cloak N Dagger

Reaction score
Mike,

It's been my experience that bucks approach decoys differently, depending on the sex of the decoy.

If you use a buck decoy expect 90% of the bucks to approach it head-on. If you use a doe decoy, the bucks will usually approach from the rear. So set up your decoy accordingly to offer you the best shot.

In early bow season (early October) I've had more success using buck decoys. Later in the month when you see the bucks starting to chase does, switch to a doe decoy.

I use a thumbtack to stick a white handkerchief to the decoys tail. A slight breeze will cause it to move and flutter a bit, adding some movement to your decoy.

Don't forget to descent your decoy with some type of scent killer, and use rubber or latex gloves when handling the decoy. After descenting your decoy, place a few drops of buck or doe urine on the handkerchief, depending on which decoy you use.

Rather than sticking the decoy out in a wide open space, I've had better luck placing it near some brush or cover. (semi-hidden) Don't worry, they'll see it!

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom