DEER FEEDER

howerton

Reaction score
here's my first pics with my game cam around my feeder.

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
Sorry, can't get any pics to pull up.  Even if i copy and paste the links?  Keep trying, always looking forward to new pics!

bat

Reaction score
howerton, good pictures....but where's the spoon and fork...lol.  boy they probably would eat out of your hand.  wish I had some that would do that!

max

Reaction score
Wow Nice picture..Perfect distance from your set-up..
I could'nt get the last three shots to come up?

howerton

Reaction score
sorry i messed up the last time i tried showing these.I hope these turn out better.

howerton

Reaction score
I switched from corn to deer pellets in my feeders and the pellets are getting wet and turning to mush. I have a small top over them but i guess the wind blowing the rain in. Does anyone have a special feeder desighn or a way i can stop this.And another thing will wet mushy deer feed hurt the deer. I heard someone say it will give them a disease?. They still seem to eat it anyways.

Gator

Reaction score
You can take a drum or any container that is large enough to adequatley hold the pellets and then cut a hole in the bottom and place a 4" pvc flange then cut a 12" or so piece of 4" pvc pipe  from the flange,  place a 4" t onto the end of that piece, then cut 2 pieces of pvc 18" or so to start with and place in each side of the t.  This will complete the feeder except you will have to put the feed into the container and then start cutting back on the pipes on each side until you get them to where the feed gravity flows down and stops right at the end of each pipe. Make sure you cut the end of the pipe at an angle, with the top being the longest.  This will keep the feed dry.  The deer will rake the feed out with their tongues.  You can suspend the feeder about 3.5 feet off of the ground and the coons won't eat up you feed.  Good Luck

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
Great pics, very clear and crisp.  How far from the cam was the feeder and what is your setup?  Keep 'em coming.

jayber

Reaction score
How much of an angel on the end of the pipe Gator?  Do you have a picture of one of these rigs?

howerton

Reaction score
My camera was about 12ft from the feeder. I had a mixture of shell corn and buckeye deer pellets in the feeder.

Gator

Reaction score
Jayber,  I don't have a pic of one but I will try and get one. There is no exact science on it.  The idea is that if the top is longer than the bottom, it will be harder for the rain to get in.  It works well unless you get a gully washer with high winds and blowing rain.  You can also run a bead of silicon or something of that nature on the outside of the pvc around the edge and down the side to make a drip collar that will channel the water so it won't run around the pipe and collect on the bottom edge.

howerton

Reaction score
Could someone please send me some pictures or ideas on how to build a feeder that will stop my feed from getting wet.  Thanks HOWERTON.

coyotehunters

Reaction score
I made a deer feeder using a 50 caliber ammo can to enclose the digital timer a battery. I siliconed all the openings that i drilled in it for the wires and support bolts. There seems to be moisture getting in from somwhere and I cant figure it out.Could this just be from condensation.What could I put in the ammo can to absorbe the moisture.I thought of silica gel but I dont have a clue how much it would take or how long it would last.Is there anything else that would work.the moisture is starting to rust my motor and do no telling what to my digital timer.

Trapp

Reaction score
1.DAMP RID MOISTURE ABSORBERS
When storing your boat for extended periods of time moisture can accumulate under the mooring cover and harm the interior of your boat. Damp Rid will prevent that costly damage by absorbing any excess moisture that may collect beneath the cover.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...amp;parentType=

OR

2.Hydrosorbent Silica Gel
Drinks up dampness from within gun safes and other enclosed storage areas, protecting firearms and other valuables from condensation, rust and mildew. Requires no electricity and remains dry to the touch even when saturated. Built-in indicator turns from blue to pink to signal when it's time to reactivate, which is done simply by placing in oven and drying out.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...amp;parentType=

kmitch

Reaction score
I used ammo cans for my feeder timers also. The mistake I made was to turn the ammo can on it's side. I ocassionally get some water inside. Having the box mounted under a 30 gal barrel helps shelter it from the weather.

The best ones I have seen mount the spinner motor in the lid and fix this to the barrel. This is the orientation that is most likley to be waterproof.

Keith

Reaction score
Do you have a set of plans for this feeder?  What kind of timer and motor did you use.  I am trying to build one myself.

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
I was having the same trouble on a commercial model I had. It had a plastic housing that fit around the battery and motor. I would have to pour the moisture out every two weeks . Then I noticed three small holes in the bottom that had not been punched all the way through. I took a nail and opened them up and that ended the problem. Around here it gets warm in the day and cold at night and really causes things to sweat. I do this on some of my cams, I guess it lets them breath.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom