Deer from fall hunt Question on deer scents

woodseye

Reaction score
Pic of my deer,weighed 201 dressed,one browtine broke off and half of one ear gone. Quite a fighter! Found his sheds from 2 years ago. He was starting downhill. Does anybody have an opinon on james valley and code blue scents? We had a BAD experience with code blue this season and it cost my huntin buddy a pretty nice mature deer. He says hes going to quit using scents and I sorta agree. I think scent loc and scent control are less spooking to the deer.Any opinons?

later woodseye

(Edited by woodseye at 1:40 pm on Jan. 30, 2002)

(Edited by woodseye at 12:28 pm on Feb. 1, 2002)

jayber

Reaction score
Congrats on the mature buck!  Now to you question on scents.  While I have never tried either of the two you mentioned, I have tried several others with little success.  I too have experienced lost opportunities that I can difinitively say was because of an attractant.  Maybe I was using the wrong thing at the wrong time or whatever.......bottom line is that, they haven't worked for me.  So because of that, I choose not to use them and focus more on scent elimination/control.

To be fair I would have to say that different deer will react differently to any situation.  You may have some spook or you may have them come in further for investigation.  It would be no different than say, rattling.  And they're not termed the ever-elusive whitetail because they're predictable!

Fubar

Reaction score
woodseye. Nice buck! Where did you get it? Are you using the scents for archery or what?                Fubar

woodseye

Reaction score
Shot him in central Maine,down in the edge of his bedding area. We use scents up here during rifle season in the rut. This deer was coming in to my buddy,he was 30 feet up in full scent loc with a cross wind. He had put a scent bomb about 50 yards in front of him. The buck was coming towards him at a walk completely relaxed. When it passed the scent it stopped like it had hit a wall. Suddenly he wheeled and ran away full tilt. He sat and stared in amazement,he never expected that to happen. We use rubber boots-scentloc-no scent soap-deodorant-chorophyll tablets-cover scents-and stay 15 feet or more high. He is sure the deer hit that code blue doe in estrous scent and spooked. I've heard a lot about james valley being different and wondered if anybody has ever used it?

woodseye       Praise the LORD

Fletch

Reaction score
I've not had much luck with deer attractants either woodseye, however, I do agree with scent control. I have better luck staying invisable to the deer than trying to draw them in. A calm deer is less likely to jump the string than one charging in or on alert to a sound or scent. "When in the woods... act like a tree"

coyote170

Reaction score
Woodeye you might look into the scent sticks from
Deer Quest I have been using them on deer and
coyotes with real good luck. Thy are on the web
http://www.deerquest.com rick is a great guy to deal with!!

woodseye

Reaction score
I"m Starting to agree with you more all the time Fletch. I think being invisible to the deer is what its all about.Thanks for the tip coyote170.

Don

Reaction score
I have used several different brands of scents and the only one I had any luck with was James Valley.  That was a few years ago.  Since then I have stopped using scents and concentrated on my scent.  It sounds like that is what most people are doing these days.  I killed just as many using scent as I did without so I figured why go to the trouble.  And all the nice bucks I shot were without scent.

woodseye

Reaction score
I think everyone agrees scent control is better than deer in a bottle when we don't really know whats in that bottle. Hmmmm the way some deer act I really wonder whats in that bottle? Fletch is right when in the woods look-act -and try to smell like a tree.
 Later

gizz

Reaction score
Hey nice buck woodseye!
You must be proud of that one.

woodseye

Reaction score
gizz I thank the LORD for all the nice bucks hes given me. I live in a state where they have time to mature. And I like nothing better than going one on one with a smart ol' buck. They usually come out on top though. Someday I'll get some pics of a really big one.
Thanx woods

SWAMPFOOT

Reaction score
woodseye
james valley is the only scent i will use anymore. it works period. but scent control is still very important. get yourself one bottle of the wallhanger gel and the full rutgel and smell it. it doesnt smell like these imitation scents you buy.  the inventor john collins is a trapper and he came up w/ the scent. it is the best me and my buddy have killed several nice deer over it. i have seen all size bucks lick and eat the stuff.  im not claiming to be a "trophy hunter"  but i have killed some nice deer for some of the areas i hunt. i dont know everything there is to know about deer hunting but it is the one love that i have outside my family friends.  it is what i do . get you some and if you control your scent and get this scent to  the deer at the right time of season it will work.  one good thing about it not alot of people use it and everybody uses the stuff from walmart.  iwonder how many big bucks will stay away from the normal scent everybody else uses.(once they have been trained to do so)its not a magic secret but it does work and may give you the edge when it is really needed.    i use nothing else but james valley it is the best.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom