Deer Herd

Duke

Reaction score
I heard that the Missouri deer herd is up to 900 some thousand and it was 800 some thousand last year.  Does anyone know the real number?

Chairman

Reaction score
Duke,

Good question.....s-o-o-o, I went to MDC's website and tried to find the answer.  It looks as if the population last year was a hair over 800K.  If you want to check this for yourself, go to:

http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/hunt/deer/deertxt.html  and look under the STATUS heading.  I didn't find anyything showing the 2001 population...

There's also a chart showing the history of deer population in MO. at:

http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/nathis.../deer/intro.htm -  just scroll down to Figure 1

Later........

(Edited by Chairman at 1:57 pm on Aug. 14, 2001)

(Edited by Chairman at 1:58 pm on Aug. 14, 2001)

Duke

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Chairman.  I will look to find this years actual amount.

Duke

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Chairman.  I will look to find this years actual amount.

robNhood

Reaction score
When I was reading about the cancelation of the January hunt, it was mentioned by the Conservation Department that the deer herd in Missouri is around 1 Million.

Duke

Reaction score
I found an article in the September issue of Missouri Game and fish on page 30 & 31.

Missouri's Deer Resource

Missouri's deer population, according to Lonnie Hanson, deer biologist for the Missouri Department of Conservation, is bouncing along at about 900,000 animals, an increase of more than 50,000 deer over the last 10 years.  Last year, Missouri hunterskilled 240,000 deer, and barring unusual weather, gun hunters including muzzleloaders will easily kill more than 200,000 deerthis year.  In addition, meeting between automobiles and deer added another 8,000 to 9,000 deer to the total. Any way you cook it, this is a pile of meet.

That is the first paragraph the rest talks about managing it.

By the way where do you hunt at in MO?  I hunt near Montgomery City.

Chairman

Reaction score
Duke,

I've hunted the Managed Deer Hunt for the Disabled at Truman Lake (Warsaw, MO.) for the past 3 years.  I'll be hunting my own property this year, too (near Roseland, MO.).  I've hunted both Benton County & Henry County.  I also got invited to go hunt in Michigan this year, but I don't know if I'll be able to make it...  :(

Top Bottom