Deer Hunting: Timing and location

JohnCo

Reaction score
What has been the best time of day for you guys? Have you had success more in the mornings, evenings or midday?

We know deer tend to be more visible in the mornings and evenings, but seeing deer doesn't always mean being able to shoot one at that time.... I've shot a few in the evening, one even late afternoon, but my best time has been morning. I've caught them out in the open feeding on their way to cover.

When people ask me where to go or how to hunt, it's tough helping them out without giving them my hard earned locations. I usually tell them to look for a place with water down low and bedding areas above, like on a ridge. Especially a dry ridge with no water sources up there. Even if a road goes through it. It seems like I see a lot of deer heading up the hill in the morning, and down the hill in the evening. Find a spot to sit where you can look along the side of a mountain and wait for the deer to come to you. What do you guys think?

IMG_20160928_081031889_HDR.jpg

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Beautiful Deer there John !
I have taken deer both Morning and evening, The evening has been closer to the rut than the mornings.
Does and Archery have been the mornings, usually catch them heading back to their beds

JohnCo

Reaction score
Beautiful Deer there John !
I have taken deer both Morning and evening, The evening has been closer to the rut than the mornings.
Does and Archery have been the mornings, usually catch them heading back to their beds
Is this in the Southern Ca zones? Any trends you see in bedding locations down there?

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Bucks up high of course, Does have been in lower shady tall tree bowls and in the ravines better than 1/2 way up the sies

Common Sense

Reaction score
I prefer morning to evening; but have taken many deer mid day.

TheGDog

Reaction score
The few I've gotten so far were 5:15pm, 8:56am and 8:29am. And it sure seems to be that deer like walking in or near gullies. Probably since it keeps them more out of the line of sight of predators I'd imagine?

Mass-n-trash

Reaction score
I have found that, when I hike in for the day, many Folks start heading back so they arrive back at the trailhead/vehicles right at dark. It's very common for me to be the only one way back in there at dark, and it's amazing how the animals can sense this. If it take and hour or two of hiking in the morning to get into the area I want to hunt...that's usually how long after dark it I get back to the truck. Evenings, away from the roads, have always been very productive for me.

Last edited:

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
I have probably had a little more success in the morning than I have had in the evening. I have however taken deer at all times of the day. I tend to see more deer in the first hour of the day or the last hour. A lot of times when I spot a buck late in the day I don't have time to get in range before it gets too dark. I have had to leave 5-6 deer out all night because I didn't want to pack them out in the dark. I do think that in a lot of areas if you stay out till dark you might be the only hunter on the mountain. Most hunters try to get back to their truck before dark so they miss out on that last hour. My wife got used to me getting back late years ago.

6x7

Reaction score
All most always find the bucks in the first two hours of the morning but that dosent mean they are shot then,after they bed we get them from 11 till dark depending on the situation.My sons second buck I found in the morning and I watched him head into a timber patch we went back ate lunch filtered so extra water then went back and got above the timber a couple hours before dark.We sat for a hour then he fed out in the open and pow!

Top Bottom