Deer Hunting: What was the best tip/advice you ever got?

JohnCo

Reaction score
For those hunters out there who've been successful and many of you guys have been great hunters for a long time, what was the best tip or advice someone ever gave you?

For me it was when people told me to hike away from the roads and glass. Walk in somewhere, sit down, and just look through my binoculars. It didn't sounds very exciting or helpful at the time, but looking back, that was when I started seeing deer. And seeing them before they saw me. Now I can't get enough of glassing, it's something I really enjoy and a big part of how I hunt.

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Walking to the blind in the dark with my Dad before i was old enough to hunt. I was in a hurry to get to the blind and start hunting but my Dad keep stopping. I thought it was because he was tired and needed a break but he told me deer spend more time standing than they do walking and we needed to walk like the deer do. I think i said something like "but it's dark and they can't see us" He said we needed to use our eyes and ears like the deer do to and if we sound like deer we won't scare them out of the area.
I don't know if that's the best advice i ever got but it's close and I still use it when hunting or walking through the timber.

Common Sense

Reaction score
My granddad was a very successful deer hunter. His advise was to walk along the side of logging road with gunny sack and pick up pop bottles for the three cent deposit. Said you could pay for your gas and see just as many deer.

Revo2811

Reaction score
Get off the road and glass and glass some more. You’ll never know what you will miss if you don’t glass

huntingcali

Reaction score
Great post. Glad to see you’re giving back.

For me a backpack in 5 miles from the trailhead at 8500 feet. I glass a lot, stay quiet, and focus on the Alpine Meadows. I hunt all day leaving camp at dark and coming back at dark. A lot of guys will come in and take naps or for lunch. I try to stay out there as much as I can and nap in the forest if I need to. Most importantly, I watch the wind to not give myself away to the animals.

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
Make a search on this forum for a member's Bubblehide posts. he posted a lot very good and valuable advise here on this forum.
It is like a bible on deer hunting. Nothing valuable can be added IMO

dustin ray

Reaction score
I crossed path with a redneck while hunting he told me the secret to deer hunting
(You find deer where the deer are at)

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
My Twofer, had scouted and tracked these two does for weeks and one fine morning out with the second doe a a big twoX3 with his nose up her youhoo, Popped him sat back had a smoke for him to bleed out and here up the stream comes this gold, at first though he was a cougar and said to my self you'll be buzzard food you try to take my deer, but watch it lumber up the stream it was a beautiful young golden bear popped him smelling the blood from the deer. Great morning and had the Better half with me.

Ridn9high

Reaction score
The best piece of advice I was given was when I was just starting to shoot rifles at a young age. My uncle and dad told me over and over again, “learn your rifle, become comfortable with it, and practice, practice, practice”! They weren’t satisfied unless I was hitting the bullseye at 100 yards. I remember when I started deer hunting at 12 years old and putting a box of bullets in my jacket. My dad asked why I needed so many bullets. I answered “I don’t know”. My dad took the box of bullets, pulled one out, handed it to me and said “you only need one”.

With that said, I always keep three in my magazine. Never know when you will need a quick follow up shot. I would say practice as much as you can with your rifle. Get comfortable with squeezing trigger and not flinching. Know your max distance you are guaranteed to hit your bullseye. I’ve seen too many guys send Hail Marys over the years, just for them to watch that buck run away untouched.......or even worse, hit and had to be tracked for miles.

MariotheBarber

Reaction score
My dad wasn’t a deer hunter, but when I was a kid one thing he taught me while squirrel hunting was patience and not rushing a shot. That’s something that has always served me well

Planetcat

Reaction score
Don't get greedy. Better to go home with a non-trophy, meat in the freezer deer than nothing.

JohnCo

Reaction score
Some really good tips in this thread. And I remember bubblehide had some good advice, whatever happened to him?

TheGDog

Reaction score
You pick a good spot (has good evidence, or you've put up a trailcam to prove to yourself they go thru there, where you can see a pretty wide angle), sit still in the shade backed up against something to hide your shape, and don't f**king move. Don't sniff. Don't cough. Don't make a sound.

And to always have your scope on its lowest magnification power to begin with.

And don't bother looking in the direction the wind is blowing.

Last edited:

Revo2811

Reaction score
My Twofer, had scouted and tracked these two does for weeks and one fine morning out with the second doe a a big twoX3 with his nose up her youhoo, Popped him sat back had a smoke for him to bleed out and here up the stream comes this gold, at first though he was a cougar and said to my self you'll be buzzard food you try to take my deer, but watch it lumber up the stream it was a beautiful young golden bear popped him smelling the blood from the deer. Great morning and had the Better half with me.
what him say?

Mass-n-trash

Reaction score
Don't get greedy. Better to go home with a non-trophy, meat in the freezer deer than nothing.
This made me chuckle :) While very true, you could also say...."You can't expect to shoot a big one if you don't let the little ones grow up." Both good advice, as it just depends on what you're after.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Get in early get quite, leave late still being quite, Hunt going in and coming out
The hunt doesn't end till your at your truck, and being a road hunter also it doesn't end for me till I'm on the asphalt

JustGuy

Banned
Reaction score
Not advise but it is what i do:" you are not going to eat antlers, nor picture"
In my translation it means: given a choice shoot the smallest legal one
1. Much more tender meet
2. Easier to carry and handle.

Usually it is more relevant with pigs since they come in numbers, but sometimes when i hunt in No CA i had to choose which buck to shoot.

Ridn9high

Reaction score
This made me chuckle :) While very true, you could also say...."You can't expect to shoot a big one if you don't let the little ones grow up." Both good advice, as it just depends on what you're after.
Im the “you cant shoot a big one if you don’t let the little one grow” type of hunter. It was amazing proof this year how much of a difference there is in the body size and how much meat you get from a small forky compared to a mature buck. My buck quartered up wouldn’t all fit in a big igloo ice chest while the forky only filled 1/4 of the same size ice chest.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Im the “you cant shoot a big one if you don’t let the little one grow” type of hunter. It was amazing proof this year how much of a difference there is in the body size and how much meat you get from a small forky compared to a mature buck. My buck quartered up wouldn’t all fit in a big igloo ice chest while the forky only filled 1/4 of the same size ice chest.
I took Opah to one of my honey holes this past season. I'd bet dollars to donuts that he'll back up the above; as will my left knee, as it's still bothering me since carrying out the deboned meat. I forget what he told me it weighed, but it was substantially more than most expect from a southern Ca buck.

Top Bottom