Deer hunts canceled on Ohio military installations

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Published Friday, September 28, 2001, in the Akron Beacon Journal.

Deer hunts canceled over security fears
Officials order suspension of special events at Ravenna arsenal, NASA station

Deer hunts at the Ravenna Army Ammunition Plant in Portage County have been canceled because of concerns about terrorist activity.

Also scratched were similar hunts at NASA's Plum Brook Station near Sandusky.

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources announced the cancellations yesterday. That agency, which manages deer hunting, was notified by the Ohio National Guard and NASA that the special hunts were being canceled this year because of concerns about potential terrorist attacks.

``In light of current events, I wholeheartedly understand the federal government's decision to suspend these special hunts, and we'll cooperate in any way we can,'' said Michael Budzik, chief of the state department's Division of Wildlife.

At the former arsenal east of Ravenna, deer hunts had been scheduled for youths on Oct. 6 and for adults on Oct. 13, Oct. 27, Nov. 17, Nov. 24 and Dec. 8.

At Plum Brook, the hunts for adults were set for Oct. 13, Oct. 20, Oct. 27, Nov. 3, Nov. 10 and Nov. 17.

Participation in the special hunts is determined by lotteries in which hunters submit applications. This year, 20,211 pairs of hunters had applied, and 1,044 pairs had been selected.

Budzik said the hunters who were chosen this year will be allowed to participate when the hunts resume, perhaps next year.

That was determined to be the best way to proceed because many hunters are forced to apply for several years before being chosen, he said.

Hunters will receive official notification by letter, he said.

prohunter

Reaction score
like i said before. in light of things this does not surprise me. just going to be tough for anyone who had plans of hunting there.

Top Bottom