Deer / Vehicle Accidents

Chairman

Reaction score
"Shawnee man killed when car hits deer
The Associated Press

ELDON, Mo. - A suburban Kansas City man was killed Saturday when the car he was driving struck a deer, the Missouri State Highway Patrol said.

Robert Williams, 33, of Shawnee, Kan., was driving a car on Highway 52 in Miller County when it hit a deer, which then came through the windshield, the patrol said. The car, which was pulling a 28-long boat, then struck a tree, and the boat jackknifed and struck the vehicle.

Williams was pronounced dead at the scene. His six-year-old son, Tyler, was taken to a hospital with minor injuries."

Be aware ~ the Rut is not the only time to watch for deer!

StringShooter

Reaction score
Maybe its me, but I have noticed a lot more deer lying along the roadsides that have been struck by cars this summer. I have also seen more deer crossing the roads acting like its November.

It could be me but the deer seem to be really active for some reason.

hucklburry

Reaction score
I am in sales, on the road alot. Anywhere from Cape G to Quincy, Evansville or Mt. Vernon, IL to Columbia, MO.

It SEEMS to me, just a gut feeling, but yes there seems to be more deer on the side of the road than normal. Not a ton more, but more.

Anyone see the article on accidents, I think it was one of the latest Deer and Deer Hunter magazine, maybe a diff. one?

--Jim

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Im telling ya that there are lots of deer out,I about hit a doe the other day,had all four tires howling.Seen 9 deer on that 10 mile run that day,Dang thing about it was it was 3:00PM,they were all crossing the road and one doe was just standing in the feild about 100 yrds from the road just eating and paying no mind to me at all.
 Thats not all,I have been seeing Fox's Everywhere i go in the middle of the day.Its just like a Steven King Novel.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
The neighbor (near Rolla, PassThru) said he seen 6 bucks together with towering horns 2 weeks ago.....

I've heard the "Deer Xing" signs get put up after 5 deer/car collisions at that location

Tinhorn

StringShooter

Reaction score
It seems like more are browsing along the roadsides. I wonder if the vegetation is getting scarce in the woods and it's driving the deer to eat in areas that are less browsed.

Could have something to do with the hot dry weather.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Or the heat is a major roll,it has been really hot and NO wind ,not even a slight breeze,in the woods it is terrible hot,maybe they are looking for a breezier cooler spot to hang out.
Wow,6 deer,Towering horns,Rolla  hehe.Oh Tinhorn,i just moved to Rolla,just down the road from Radio Shack,just out of town a bit.

Chairman

Reaction score
Isn't it normal to see an increase in deer activity, about a month after the fawns are dropped?  I'm sure the heat is a factor in the increase, but what about the normal increase of activity at this time of year?  I've always enjoyed watching the new fawns coming out during daylight hours, about 4 weeks after they're born.

What about the yearlings that were chased off by the momma doe, right before the fawning season?  And, the yearling bucks looking for their own core area?

I'm very familiar with the deer that live on our property.  I saw a new/strange buck on my property a few weeks ago.  He was wandering around the property ~ he looked "lost".  My wife saw him the other day ~ still on our property!  Hmmm...sounds like he's gonna be around for awhile.  I hope so!

Top Bottom