deer video

Curtiss

Reaction score
(Edited by Curtiss at 9:25 am on Mar. 28, 2002)

TmKarren

Reaction score
Sorry I couldn't get anything to come up.  I would like to see it though.

MBullism

Reaction score
It worked for me...  This time I know what the dancing lights in the background are!  Thanks Curtiss, looking good!

Brotherwolf

Reaction score
Looks good! a little dark, but you can still see whats there.  I love the eyes in the background.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Looks like they may have seen the red glow of a lens or something.  You can see them do that neck swinging thing when they are nervous about something and they are looking at the camera.

Little more IR and that would be perfect.

I just bought 100 Infrared LEDs for this purpose.

Brian

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I used the High Output IR LEDs in a circular pattern around the lens of my fish cam. Depending on the water clarity, I can only see a few feet in complete darkness. I would like to find some more intense IR LEDs. What kind of distance are you guys getting in complete darkness?

Stever

Reaction score
That really puts a differant perspective on this trail cam thing. I love it! Makes you feel like you are right there.

jayber

Reaction score
Must be my player......all I could see were glowing eyes from time-to-time.

Curtiss

Reaction score
(Edited by Curtiss at 7:46 pm on Mar. 23, 2002)

(Edited by Curtiss at 9:22 am on Mar. 28, 2002)

MBullism

Reaction score
hey curtiss...

love to see it, but the link aint working for me...

MBullism

Reaction score
Got it this time...  That IS pretty cool. (and very similar to what I see during deer season!)

Thanks Curtiss!

Archilochus

Reaction score
Always suspected that deer could see near IR - what's the nominal frequency of your illuminator??

Archilochus

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
WOW didn't know deer could see infrared. Cool video. Thanks.

max

Reaction score
Wow neat Video!!!I don't think she saw the Infrared,Deer are naturally more alert near bait piles...She must have heard the relay "click" or camera start-up? definately a different approach with a video camera...really cool!!!!!!

Curtiss

Reaction score
Hello Max,
   There is no relays to make noise. I use solid state relays. The camera does make a wake up noise, but the camera is around 170 feet from the bait pile, and I have a lot of video that  the deer, coons, and bears, see. The camera wakes up, turns on a timer that sets the record, and 1 1/2 sec later the light follows. I have the camera set to take 18 secounds of video, then everything turns off. There is 2mins, and 30 secound delay before the pir can set the camera off again. Lots of day footage, and the deer, never even look towards the camera.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
She sure didn't waste any time making up her mind about leaving.

Good job Curtiss.

Curtiss

Reaction score
Archilochus,
   You asked,
" Always suspected that deer could see near IR - what's the nominal frequency of your illuminator?? "
Its 860 nm.
   Curtiss

FLBowhunter

Reaction score
Curtiss
How would the deer react if the IR lights were always on? (Big battery).  Would they just get use to it being there and proceed as normal or do you think they would just avoid the area all together?  It would be interesting to see.  Do you have any other video footage we can check out?  That is great stuff!  Thanks,
-Scott-

Steiner

Reaction score
Curtis,
That is some good footage.  I will say though to keep an open mind about this.  I have been using two video units for the past two years that use infrared light for filming.  I have probably filmed over 100 hours of tape.  Every once in a while the deer react the way yours did but not often. Most of the time they just go about their business. I really don't have an explanation for it other than some deer just don't seem to be comfortable some times in certain settings.  One of my infrared light sources is at 880 nm which the human eye can just see a very faint red glow in full darkness.  The other light source is in the 900 nm range which I can't see at all.  I have not really noticed any difference in reaction to either of the units.  Just my 2 cents.....

Latest Posts

Top Bottom