Deer

carlw

Reaction score
 This is the first time posting ,so i hope it works.

gizz

Reaction score
Welcome to the boards Carlw. That's a nice picture, did you build your own Cam?

Fubar

Reaction score
carlw Welcome to Jesses Forum. Nice pic, thanx for sharing it.               Fubar

Brotherwolf

Reaction score
Nice picture! Did your camera get knocked loose or is that deer walking down hill?:D

carlw

Reaction score
Yes i did build that cam my self,i built it to try and locate the coyotes in the area,but no coyotes so far ,but i have gotten lots of deer,turkey,squirrels and raccoons.

killinturks

Reaction score
I was out opening morning, set up with a bird so close i thouht he could leave droppings on my head and several others gobbling nearby. Did some tree calling and a fly down , scrathed the leaves a bit ,and then some clucks and purrs. I heard something coming from behind and this deer is looking over my right shoulder 20 yards away .It starts somping its feet and snorting at me then pretty soon theres three of them. Im getting kinda mad and thinking my morning aint gonna go too good. The birds start flying down and a hen starts cutting heavy, but these deer are still messin with me and they are between me and the birds. Then i hear some yelps lower in the woods and a jake starts walking up the logging trail towards my dekes and he has a longbeard in tow. I rotated my leg supporting old blue towards them and got ready for a shot. Meanwhile these deer are still rattin me out but it didnt seem to bother the birds, the jake is standing with my dekes and the tom is 10 yards away yet but looking nervous. He starts to back away so I let him eat lead at 35 yards and he flops. That shut them deer up finally. Any one else have problems with deer?
i

MBullism

Reaction score
Congrats and welcome aboard, killinturks.  I can't say I've ever had any "problems" with deer during turkey season...  Seen 'em, had 'em walk through my setups and such but we have an agreement... they stay outta my way, and I don't shoot at them 'til deer season!  Saw my only piebald (sp?) deer while turkey hunting.  Was one of three that mosied through between roosted birds and myself.  Never got a shot that morning, so maybe they're messing with me and I don't know it!

Them deer musta just about shat themselves when that gun went off!

M

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
I've had deer come in on me many times and they usually move on or pop their tail up to warn everything within 200 yards and scamper away.  But they have never really interfered with the turkey hunt.  At least I don't think so.  But on the other hand I do so lousey at turkey hunting I guess they may be scaring the tyurkeys off.

woodsman

Reaction score
I had a similar experience with deer, I set up with my back in the bushes and had deer behind my left shoulder about 25 yards,stomping and snorting ,This was my first time turkey hunting by my self, I never did see Turkeys that morn,I still had fun
:toothless:

Welby

Reaction score
When I first started turkey hunting, I set up on a gobbler that to this day I believe I could have killed had it not been for a deer.  Unbeknownst to me, lying nearby was a deer that decided to jump, snort, and run from only when the turkey was nearly within gun range.  This obviously scared the gobbler off.

I waited about thirty minutes before doing anything else.  Then, I started calling again.  The gobbler answered and began coming back.  Would you believe that same dadgum deer circled around, came back, snorted, and spooked again??  This time, the gobbler flew up in a tree.  When I got up to leave he flew off and so ended that hunt.

Yes, I have had deer interfere with my turkey hunting.

Rattler

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean,  I had a doe and her yearling snort me out when I had tom on the line last week.  They had bedded down 25 yards uphill from my position and then got up to eat around noon.  The whole time they were unaware and content...but the wind must have shifted a while later and they took off snorting galloping and scared the crap out of tom (who split in a hurry).

Tominator

Reaction score
2 weeks ago I had a tom about 50 yds in front of me feeding towards his flyup spot. I had been clucking softly and he was making his way towards me when I heard what I thought was a second bird coming from behind. Take a few steps, stop, take a few steps, stop. I didn't dare try to turn my head but i sure did try to poke my eyeballs out of my head far enough to look behind me. Finally, it picked up the pace and hauled tail the opposite direction. It never did snort so I began to think maybe it was a coyote. I never did hear the tom again, and about 10 minutes later he flew up to his roost over the swamp. There was still plenty of light so I decided I would ninja back and try to get a shot at the coyote. As soon as I got turned around I saw the doe standing in the switch cane around the edge of the swamp. I didn't want to spook the roosted but I had a tom blocking one exit and a deer blocking the other. I chose to ease towards the deer and hopefully she would leave quietly. Wrong, she went into a snorting fit like you ain't never heard. She would snort 5 or 6 times and run maybe 5 steps then do it all again, with me gaining ground on her all the while. Finally she left and I made my way out without busting the toms off the roost.
Tominator

RSB

Reaction score
Congrats killinturks! I have never had a deer interfer with a turkey hunt, that could cause a problem.

Possum

Reaction score
The turkeys in my area pay attention to the deer.  I had a deer ruin two big gobblers coming to me one year.  The deer came out 40 yds away between me and the 70 yd birds.  They snorted and went in the woods and the turkeys went also.  I circled around and came up in front of them.  Waited 20 minutes and started calling.  I killed one of those birds that morning.  The turkeys don't know what busted the deer, but they know it isn't right.  This year we spooked some deer that ran straight under the gobbling turkeys.  Guess which way the birds pitched out of the tree?  Circled around and worked them 1.5 hours.  4 gobblers 8 jakes and two hens in a strut zone/open field.  Finally a trespasser spooked the birds and sent them packing.  Oh well.  If a deer spooks a bird I know I can always go around and call him in a different direction.  Listen for sounds in the woods.    A lot of times other animals will help you realize the bird is coming.  A squirrel getting excited or Crows starting to call all of a sudden.  Even deer can smell them if the wind is right and will pick their heads up to watch.

Tominator

Reaction score
Almost forgot, welcome aboard Killinturks.
Tominator

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom