Deerhunting gear checklist

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score

BuckSnort

Reaction score
Thanks Jesse,this will come in handy when I am planning a hunt/scouting trip.

coueshunter

Reaction score
Lets start a seperate thread for first aid kits, these are something if you hunt and travel alot like I do, I want to make sure I have the right stuff for sutures etc... when you are back in a ways.......

fpscabs

Reaction score
Nice list Jesse
But in today's dry west, a flare gun might not be a good idea.  I thought one of the AZ fires started with a lost hiker trying to make a signal fire.
   How about 4 or 5 chem-lights?  A volunteer with Sierra Madre Search & Rescue recommends them as the best signaling tool.  Plus, you don't have to change batteries.
He said a night you can spot them 30 miles away in the air, plus can give some comfort light.

First Aid kit:
   3M makes some really cool knife-cut bandages.  Works like a butteryfly but really holds.  I sliced my finger tip with my deer knife last year (almost took the tip off almost to the nail, trying to cut some plastic) .  After I wrapped my dripping finger in duct tape and drove to Savon's, I tried these strips and they worked great. Wound healed better than the other finger with a similar cut that had 6 stiches.

3m Steri-Strip pack of 10 strips 1/4x4" product#R1546

Maybe a sub-catagory for a daily pack

coueshunter

Reaction score
Fritz:  I agree, I use a day pack and this topic is popular and beneficial.  Actually last night I transfered all my junk from my Rocky pack into the Kifaru pack at the suggestion of Duwane Adams/Kirk Kelso.  I will be toting a little more weight, but when the animal is down, I dont have to hoof it back to the truck for the pack frame.  In addition to this, I have all essetials for first aid/shelter etc.... in this larger pack.  I will carry approximately 30 lbs, but the pack is good/balanced on my hips so it is not as bad as years ago packs.........

doghouse95

Reaction score
Seems like I had a post deleted?????  It didn't contain any four letter words, or bad
language.
Did I violate some unknown rule and criticize a city-slicker flatlander out of turn or
something?????
I couldn?t get all that junk in my one ton.

prohunter

Reaction score
Grate list Jesse! At least we have something to start with. Now we can modify to suit our needs, where & what we are hunting, and time of the year. I bring fusse' (flares) to start a fire. They are the best firestarter even when wet.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
doghouse,

it's a general list, I don't lug all that around either.

fpscabs,

There are places I've hunted in the west in the snow where a flare gun would come in real handy to signal a ground search team. Most aircraft stop searching at dark. I did forget the chem lights. I even carry a flourescent marker panel for signalling aircraft which I forgot also.

The chem lights are easy to spot from the air and we also used little handheld strobes in the military that you can get for about $50.00.

Top Bottom