Deforming shoulder

k_rad

From left to right. First one is following directions from Lee dies. I keep backing off to get the neck sized but no shoulder deformation. Will I have to loose 5 cases Everytime I go through this???

send from my stupid smart phone...

OPAH

Why not reverse the process, start short and then lengthen until you get deformation and then back off? seems it would be only one case under that scenario. Not a pro re-loader just getting into it, But don't you size the neck when you de-prime and crimp the neck when you seat the bullet? Please forgive my lack of knowledge

k_rad

Those look like new brass. Are you getting that by simply seating a bullet?
all un-fired, new, Nosler brass. trimmed to length and de-burred. die set up as per instructions from Lee Dies. I have an old Rock Chucker press. I wonder if that is the variable??

k_rad

Why not reverse the process, start short and then lengthen until you get deformation and then back off? seems it would be only one case under that scenario. Not a pro re-loader just getting into it, But don't you size the neck when you de-prime and crimp the neck when you seat the bullet? Please forgive my lack of knowledge
good suggestion. This is what I will do next time for sure. Was just trying to follow instructions to the letter. There was no de-priming because this is brand new brass...

k_rad

Are you just trying to neck size or full length size? What die are you using?
Neck size. I bought New brass Nozler 280 for my 270 Win. I just had it set too low. Think I have it right now. just waiting on my hand primer for next step.

ltdann

I knew it, operator error!

But seriously, I've never had that happen to me before. I do occasionally get neck collapse from over lubrication, usually after I put fresh silicone on the pad.

I'd have to double check, but I believe I'm using full length carbide dies...

Why would you want to only size the neck, anyone know?

k_rad

I knew it, operator error!

But seriously, I've never had that happen to me before. I do occasionally get neck collapse from over lubrication, usually after I put fresh silicone on the pad.

I'd have to double check, but I believe I'm using full length carbide dies...

Why would you want to only size the neck, anyone know?
IDK. I was following directions that said I didn't need to use the die that punched out the primer and resized in one go?. Because this is brand new brass?,... So I only had to resize the neck?...I guess this is a question for a Marine sniper not a Navy guy who DROVE the Marine sniper to the fight!

Mr. Luckypants

Seriously?! I bought a set of four. All set up now. Are they really that bad? This is getting expensive...
They work differently than a "regular" set of dies. I believe they squeeze the necks instead of using the expander ball. If it's not setup properly then you'll get bulge like this. I would pull the handle down then install the die until it touch then stop and tighten.

lngrnghunter

no PM received .I think I got some 270 brass new and once fired . why would u use 280 brass for a 270.the 280 at the shoulder is 2.199 the 270 is 2.156

k_rad

no PM received .I think I got some 270 brass new and once fired . why would u use 280 brass for a 270.the 280 at the shoulder is 2.199 the 270 is 2.156
Sorry I sent an email... I have been on a few different reload forums and was told 280 was perfectly acceptable since the 270 bullet is actually .277

Top Bottom