Del Norte Bull Tag 2008

tommy

Reaction score
My Dad and I have been putting in for as long as I can remember for a California elk Tag . This year i split up the application hoping one of us would get drawn , well my dad got the notification yesterday that he drew the Del Norte Bull tag . I was about to give up on one of us ever getting drawn , and im glad my dad finally drew the tag he is 62 yrs old and it will probably be his only time to have a chance at a Roosevelt elk here in California .
I dont really know what to expect since we have never been to this area before , are they rutting at the end of Agust beginning of September ? . If anyone has any info on the hunt area or knows anyone who could point us in the right direction i would really appreciate it , seems like there are some nice elk in the area I just hope we can find one and my dad gets a chance at it . Please contact me at Tommy11966@aol.com or call my cell phone 209-606-2881 . Thanks , Brian

AAA

Reaction score
[attachment=52714:sam_ca_elk.jpg]

This is the bull my wife shot there. It was a great hunt and had a blast too. If your dad has some money i would highly suggest a guide for the hunt. U can kill a bull there without one but if he wants a really big bull or he has not hunted elk much pay the guide his fee and have a awsome hunt. I can recomend the best guide on the unit bar none if u want. I did this hunt on my own with the wife but i have alot of elk hunting behind me. They are huge in size and is a little eye opening when u go to take care of one. Take the whole season off and dont get to excited until the last 3to4 days of the hunt. Let most of the guys clear out and the elk will get more vocal everyday of the season. I saw quite a few bulls on the hunt and she missed one bigger than the one she got. Most guys hunted 2 to 4 days and did not see hardly anything so when they saw the first bull they shot with fear of not getting anything. This is no joke. Be willing to let a few rag horns go to find a bull pushing 300class or better. If you dont know how to call elk hire the guide and he can put them in your face. Let me know and i can give you some info on guide or camping or anything of that kind of stuff. I know another guy who hunted it 2 years ago and had a great hunt too. Congrats

Attachments

cahuntr

Reaction score
Congrats on the tag. I drew a elk tag last year and I almost s**t my pant when I got the notice so I know te feeling you and your dad had when you got the notice. Also, I see your from Oakdale, me too. Good luck

Latest Posts

Top Bottom