DELAYS

woodseye

Reaction score
How does everyone feel about delays on cams? I use 10-20 second for trails and patterning bachelor groups in late summer. 1-3 minute for bedding areas and over food plots(even this can be to fast when you get a doe and her lamb and they decide to pig out) I hate to ever think I got the spike but missed the 10 point following.Any ideas?

woods

sven

Reaction score
I agree.  I like the short delay for trails and longer delay for a food plot.  As far as how long of a delay, I don't know.  Right now I'm using the RS sensor, so I have a choice of 5 seconds or 30 seconds.  

I would say 10 seconds is good for a trail.  Even then, depending on the angle to the trail you have, you may miss a deer or two if 3 or 4 come through at a time.  The delay for a food plot sould be dependent on the situation.  If it's a primary feeding area then a longer time may be needed to avoid seeing multiple pics of the same deer.  If it's a pit stop on the way to a larger field then the time may need to be a little shorter between pics.

sven

Reaction score
coyotehunters,

There are 2 different settings on the RS sensor.  Alarm and Chime.  The alarm mode has about a 30 second signal and the chime mode has about a 5 second signal.

If you wire the board according to the diagram on this site, using the #2 pin on the chip as your output, then you can use both the chime and alarm settings.  If you are just using the speaker output wires, it has been found that you lose the short delay due to fluctuations in the output voltage the may cause the camera to take multiple pic each time the sensor is tripped.

GeorgiaHunter

Reaction score
Though I am pretty new to this hobby, my thoughts are to use no delay when monitoring a trail. I want to know about every deer that passes until I find that I am burning through too much film (1 roll per week is the target during antlered periods). When covering a bait pile I use either 5 or 10 mins. This allows the deer to settle down after the first pic and move in on the bait before the next pic. I may use less delay when  covering a food plot where the deer are not so concentrated.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
I don't use a timer on cams that I put on trails.As soon as the camera is ready to take another pic(which depends on how fresh the batteries are and the outside temp)I want it to take a picture and catch every deer that uses that trail.On feeders and food plots once every 5-10 min. is fine with me.

davered1

Reaction score
GeorgiaHunter,

I used the 5 second delay on my rs when I first built cams.Very first roll I had 15 pics of the same buck(pictured below),I didn't complain much because he was a good buck. Seems most deer are curious about that tree doing all the flashing and stand around for a minute or so to get their pic took.

I use the 30 sec delay all year but at rut then I switch to 5 second because I don't want to miss anything.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I use a 1 or 2 min delay all year except when I think the Doe Chasing is on, then go to 10 sec (on those cam's I built that have that feature)

The 1 or 2 min Delay cuts down on Multiple "False Alarms" because (I guess) what-ever caused the problem may be gone by the time the cam is ready again.

The very 1st cam I built had no delay. I had it sitting next to me on the porch one evening at dark when suddenly it sensed something and snapped  a pix, ony I could not see anything, but it ended up snapping 5 pix while I sat there (alone, as far as I could tell)   had the 2 stage delay on it the next day.

Tinhorn

TmKarren

Reaction score
I like the two minute delay.  One minute might be better.  Give them a chance to move on.  I did the 2-3 second delay thing the first roll of film.  I got three pictures of one deer on a trail.  The second scared it the third it was running the other way.  Three pictures of another deer.

TmKarren

Reaction score
Tinhorn,anyoneHow do you change the time delays.  The resistors right????  I have a mainstays what are the resistor k in them??  Do you go up for less of a delay or the other way?  Or do I even know what I'm talking about??  

Tinhorn

Reaction score
TmKarren,

All my cam's have separate timers in them that I built.  When motion is sensed, the shutter is pressed for 10 seconds but cannot be pressed again until 2 mins is up.

If you decide to build a timer, Joed's does that exact thing and is lots easier to build than my design.

Since you are using MS20s, you can do this.  

Remove the Light Sensor from inside the unit and slide the Mode Switch to "AUTO"

In this position, when motion is sensed, a pix is taken immediately and a timer starts counting down for 1.5 min's.  The cam cannot take another pix for 1.5 min's

BUT

if motion is sensed again, before the 1.5 min's is up, the count-down counter "RESETS" and starts the count all over again.  So if the deer remains in front of the camera moving around, it won't take another pix (until he leaves)

There is one draw back to this ! ! !

If the Owl PF's shutter is held down for about 3 min's, it goes into "Shutdown" and the batteries have to be disconnected momentarily to bring the cam back to life.  What or the odds of a deer hanging around that long?????????

Tinhorn

TmKarren

Reaction score
ya I have it on auto, I bent the light sensor away from the light hole on the white cover (not the lense).  It works fine.  I was wondering about how the resistor thing works on time delays.  It was mentioned R 25 is timing for auto, R26 for test.  Do you use a bigger number resistor for more time or less, or is the resistor the one that determins it?  Thank you..

jayber

Reaction score
I started with 0, 2, 5, 10, & 20 min. delay options, but found that 0/no delay was giving me too many pics of the same deer.....2 mins was too long for the first delay if used on a trail.....and that i never used 20 mins.  So, I added a 30 sec delay that I'll use on trails during non-rut time......and eliminated the 20 min. delay.  I've got the camera out now set on 2 min delay since there's reduced activity.

TmKarren

Reaction score
Jayber.  How did you add the 30 second delay?  That is what I'm trying to get.  I have a 2 second, great for testing it.  I have a two minute.  Good for the trail.  I would like a 15, or 20 minute for over bait.  What was the set up for the 20 minute delay??  Thank you.  Has any one used these over bear bait?  Do the bear bother the camera.  I remember one camera had a run in with a bear awhile back.

wfontjr

Reaction score
tmkarren
i believe the time delay is resistor X capacitor X 1.1
at least it is for the tlc555 ic, so if u double the resistor you will get twice the time delay, tinhorn correct me if im wrong

TmKarren

Reaction score
THANK YOU.  I was messing around with my PIR.  I think I found that the 2 minute is like a 2 M.  I went to Radio Shack and picked up a pack of 1m, and 10m  hopefully the 1m will be around 1 minute, and I can get around 20 min.  with 2 10ms'.  I hooked it up to a switch on my box it worked great.  so the 5 second is for the LED. and I'm trying to hook them so I can 3 diffrent delays.  THANKS FOR THE TIP  THERE WFONTJR.

davered1

Reaction score
TmKarren,

I have used mine over bait for bears,I was actually baiting deer with "sweet feed" for horses,but the bear found it and came every day to clean out feeder.

He only bothered my camera once but the pic it took right before he messed with it showed him rubbing camera with his back(that may be all that happened).

The camera was not hurt just lop-sided on tree and turned off somehow.

Here is a couple of pics I got of him.I am going to try more in spring when they come out.

This is pic right before cam got turned off:

him leaving feeder

TmKarren

Reaction score
thank you davered1.  I like the pictures they turned out great.  I see the bears aren't to afraid of the flash.  I'll have to try it for bears also.  Hopefully I'll get a bear tag this year.  Thanks for the info, and the pictures.

jayber

Reaction score
Sounds like you're on the right track TmKarren as far as the delay times you're after.  I don't recall the exact resistor values I used, but once you know one you can calculate an estimate for the others.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom