Delevan

deckscrew

Reaction score
my brother got a low reservation number for delevan on opening day.  we've never hunted there

can anyone tell us which blinds are best, and how the wind affects hunting there

any information would be greatly appreciated

thanks

twoducks

Reaction score
I would look towards 4,5, and also #10 usually shoots well on the opener, maybe, 6, , 8 and #9  I would think this early the North side would be holding most of the birds.

Jay

Reaction score
deckscrew:

What number did your bother pull? I'll be there with my buddy who pulled #23.

Opening day will be a free for all with birds everywhere. I wouldn't worry about the wind unless it's kicking over 30 MPH. Right now the weather forecast is for a 10 MPH North wind and temps topping out at 85 degrees. Bring your skeeter juice and suntan lotion.

Once the season gets rolling, Delevan works like this:

Most of the birds come out of the south on calm and north wind days so the southern blinds shoot well. The SW corner of the free roam does well on these days also.

When a south wind kicks in the birds come off the north closed zone moving south to SW. On these days the north blinds shoot better and the NW corner of the free roam shoots well.

Quacker Wacker

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to draw #10 at Delevan.  In 10 years I've only drawn there one time before and that was the year that the floods closed it down.  I look at this as a once in a decade opportunity.  Any opinions on some blinds  to consider would be greatly appreciated.  Do you have any opinions on some blinds shooting better/worse in certain types of weather, i/e north v. south wind, fog, etc.  Maybe someone has seen the shoot numbers for the blinds recently, I assume they are posted like LDC and Sac.

Thanks!

E A Hunt

Reaction score
The numbers are on the window at the check station as far as best blinds go.

Some of the blinds are pretty beat down as far as cover goes. Some have Zero dry land to put your gear down or to sit a dog.

Drop me an e-mail and I'll be glad to give you a run down on the 5 blinds I've sat in this season.

Baldplate

Reaction score
I got drawn for Sat. 01/05/02, # 18.Is this a low enough number to get a decent space blind or should I consider the free roam area. With the Sac refuge web page still down, I am not able to get any up-date information on how the space blinds are shooting. Also if my failing memory is correct, does whitefront goose season close earlier for this portion of the Sacramento valley then the balance of the State? Generally how would you rate the hunting at Delevan late in the season as compaired to some of the other refuges in the area. I realize weather will play an important part in conditions. Thanks for your help, happy holidays and good hunting.

Jay

Reaction score
Delevan is generally excellent late in the season.

If the creeks, bypasses and rivers flood (which is unusal but we gotten a lot of rain this year) the ducks will move off the refuges to feed in the newly flooded areas.

Specks are closed are Delevan but there are plenty of Snows.  

(Edited by Jay at 5:54 pm on Dec. 21, 2001)

Huntinfiend

Reaction score
You should have a shot at a decent blind.  If you have a chance to grab a blind in the 20's they usually shot well.  I've shot 23, 24 and 27.  Did well in all of them. They post the blind averages so get there a little early and check those out.  And yes.....Specks are closed, but you'll see mostly snows anyways.

Top Bottom