Delta Mendota Doves

NewmanCA

Reaction score
I took a drive yesterday at noon. They are still pumping water north as of 8/16. The Delta Mendota canal is still closed from just south of stuhr road to the Pete Miller Road overpass. The Peter Miller Road overpass is a couple miles north of the Hwy 140/Gustine exit on Highway I5

NewmanCA

Reaction score
Thanks for the update.
Sure. No prob. I've noticed alot of people hunt that section that is closed. Those who just come up the first day expecting to get the same spot are going to be disappointed when they see a locked gate

orion 1

Reaction score
Sure. No prob. I've noticed alot of people hunt that section that is closed. Those who just come up the first day expecting to get the same spot are going to be disappointed when they see a locked gate
It should be interesting.

KingPutin

Reaction score
Are you allowed to hike in to the gated off sections, or is it strictly no-go?

7mallards

Banned
Reaction score
There are no hunting signs posted that say PERMISSION ONLY

NewmanCA

Reaction score
Are you allowed to hike in to the gated off sections, or is it strictly no-go?
I am not sure. I would have to talk to whoever is watching the place. It is a temporary closure due to the temporary pumps that were installed to pump water north. They are still using the pumps and I am not sure when they are supposed to remove the pumps. The gates were closed to safeguard the pumps from metal and copper thieves.

NewmanCA

Reaction score
There are no hunting signs posted that say PERMISSION ONLY
Where did you come up with that? There are no such signs that I've ever seen. It is state property and they don't post those signs on the Delta Mendota canal.

7mallards

Banned
Reaction score
I will get the exact info and send it to you maybe it is a different spot but i dont think so.. If you dont see any signs then it must be a different area on the closed section were talking about

Bankrunner

Reaction score
So............
Could there by a new locked gate at the stop sign north of the 76 station with the typical no trespassing/authorized vehicles only signage? Along with that new gate there are always fresh no trespassing signs right before the opener. Question is...who posted the signs, land owners or hunters?

7mallards

Banned
Reaction score
Have no idea who posted anything but I sure would not want to find out the hard way... There would be no defense if you get a ticket plus why not contact the owner and ask for permission?

NewmanCA

Reaction score
So............
Could there by a new locked gate at the stop sign north of the 76 station with the typical no trespassing/authorized vehicles only signage? Along with that new gate there are always fresh no trespassing signs right before the opener. Question is...who posted the signs, land owners or hunters?
North of the 76 station? What area are you referring to? There are no gas stations at the Newman exit and the Gustine exit has a shell and Chevron station only. The land along the Delta Mendota is owned by the State Dept of Water Resources. It is not privately owned. The gate was probably always there, they just never had a reason to close it before. I have never seen No Tresspassing signs along the Canal and lots of people go hunting there all the time. The people stay on the DWR property and the game warden is there all the time. To my knowledge in all my years I can't recall the state ever having an issue with people hunting along the canal.

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Crap! I thought there was a 76 there. Are you sure there are no signs that say "no trespassing/no unauthorized vehicles?

NewmanCA

Reaction score
Crap! I thought there was a 76 there. Are you sure there are no signs that say "no trespassing/no unauthorized vehicles?
I don't remember. I just saw the closed gate and turned onto Pete Miller Road. I would have to drive up there and look.

NewmanCA

Reaction score
I just came back from DMC. They installed a new gate on the north just south of the Newman exit. The gate is closed and they have property of Federal Govt and No Tresspassing. It looks like the canal area between Newman and Gustine is going to be closed this year for thru traffic so if anyone hunts this year, you will need to plan on going either North or South of the closed area. I think there must be some good spots along the DMC south of the Gustine Hwy 140 exit.

7mallards

Banned
Reaction score
Why do you post stuff?? Same reason I guess but I did say it was posted trying to save guys grief upon showing up and finding that area posted..
Have a great day!!!!

Top Bottom