Delta Striper

outbrakeridah

Yea heard Hogan was doing well too. Haven't been there in a while though. I like the Delta since it only takes me 5 mins to get out there to launch the boat and I have a few good spots that are always productive.

map

What is the best way to fish for Stripers at Hogan? I have a boat and a sinking line with one of Blanton's large Flash Clousers, but I'm thinking about trolling for them.

Sent from my iPhone/Tapatalk

outbrakeridah

Fish off the shore with frozen anchovies. I'll use the boat to get to a more remote spot and fish from shore. Seems I do better that way than off the boat for some odd reason! Most of the time I'm there is during the night though. Usually catch more during night time than day time.

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
What is the best way to fish for Stripers at Hogan? I have a boat and a sinking line with one of Blanton's large Flash Clousers, but I'm thinking about trolling for them.

I troll with two rod, one on each side of the boat. On the other end of each line, hangs an umbrella rig with twelve 4" swim bait with 1 oz jighead. Only three lures have hooks. The other 9 are just teasers. I also have two rods on the side rigged with broke back rebel or another swim bait. Depending on the dept of the water, drop the umbrella down half way, then put the boat on idle and puck away. Adjust the umbrella if dept gets deeper or shallower. When you get a hit on the troller, chances are that there is a school of them. With a couple guys in the boat, if one guy is fighting the fish on the trolling rig, the other guy start working with the side rods. If it's a big school, you may get a few fish from it before they vanish. Then back to pucking away with the troller.

Sometimes I run into boils. Just shut off the boat motor and cast a lure out to the boil. Other then that, bring some frozen anchovies and rig it up with a 2 ft leader under a 1 oz sinker. Drop it down on the side of the boat and let it drift away.

map

Thanks, I'm camping with my wife in Yosemite Valley this weekend, and will try to hook around up to New Hogan on the way home Monday. I am fully retired and can fish midweeks.

Top Bottom