• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Delta Sturgeon picking up!

Cal hunter

I had shoulder surgery last week so a couple weeks before I decided id better squeeze a trip to the delta in before I had to hang it up a couple months. Turned out pretty good! One Shaker one keeper and 4 striper.

Calif_Mike

Nice going. Now that hunting season is over I'll be out there pretty much every weekend for sturgeon. Good luck with your shoulder.

matt392

Looks like Pittsburg in the background there (just a guess of course). I love fishing that area. We catch a ton of sturgeon there every year. Any size to the stripers? I'm assuming roe/eel combo or were you using shrimp? Nice fish BTW.

huntingbret

Nice. I've always wanted to fish for sturgeons but don't know anything about the delta and don't know where to anchor up. Not even sure on the bait to use as well. Any pointers for a newbie?

matt392

Hunting---try the areas around Chain Island/Point Sacramento in the Delta. You really need to have decent electronics. If you are near Chain Island area there is a drop off into the main channel that goes to about 70 feet deep. The sturgeon like to face upstream on that slope and feed on what comes down on the beginning of the outgoing tide. There are numerous baits that all have varying degrees of success. Recently I have had the most success with lamprey eel/salmon roe combo. Sometimes they only want the eel. Other times they only want the roe. Other times they want grass/ghost shrimp.

Sturgeon fishing is all about putting in time to figure things out. You have to be super patient and expect to only get a few bites on any trip. The best bet would be to go with a guide a couple times to learn the ropes, especially how sturgeon bite and hook setting techniques (I can recommend a great guide if you need). Hope this helps.

Cal hunter

Thanks Guys! It was grass shrimp with a small chunk of eel on the end just to help keep the bait on now that we cant used barbed hooks. The striper were all undersized bait snatchers. And yeah it was Pittsburgh. One of my favorite areas to fish.

Cal hunter

Looks like I will be back at it sooner then expected! Had my post op appointment last Thursday and my Doctor was amazed to say the least. I had rotator cuff repaired and the end of my collar bone removed. 2 weeks after surgery The doc asked me to raise my arm as high as I could so I raised it over my head. At that point he had me moving it all over the place. Turns out I have full range of motion already and haven't even started PT yet. He was thrilled and a bit stumped about how quickly im healing. Sturgeon beware!

Top Bottom