Delta Sturgeon

Mel Carter

Reaction score
Anyone have any tips on baits and set ups? My buddy is picking up his new boat on the 3rd and is dying to get out sturgeon fishing. We will probably hit mothball fleet area or Rio Vista bridge. I have never been fishing for Sturgeon, so any advise would be helpfull. I know about the new regs, just need some info on baits and set up. I'm probably a little light on the pole tackle set up, i have a medium/heavy 7' ugly stick using 30# test main line and 100# test leaders. I may pick up a different reel so I can go up on the line weight, but not sure yet.

Thanks,

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Fishing from a boat your 7' ugly stick with 30 lb test will work. I like to use 60 lbs. test 3ft long wire leaders on 6/0 hook. I've not went out since the 1st of Jan and not sure what it is like with the barbless hook. I assume the circle hook may work just like salmon fishing but I've not test it. For bait, I have better luck with ghost shrimp and lamprey eel. I think they are further up the river than Rio Vista now. Usually this time of year the action slows down below Sac river and Feather River and more action shows in the Colusa area. Good luck.

outbrakeridah

Reaction score
Your 7' is fine. Thats what I use..a medium heavy rod with 50lb test line. Make sure to follow the new regs. We were up near Rio Vista a few weeks back and landed this one using ghost shrimp. My cousin lost one that we couldn't get on the boat since it went under and tangled up. Had to cut it but he we got a glimpse of it and it was huge. The new regs states you can't even have it on the boat to measure if its over a certain length which I forgot. Also remember that that the measuring method is now different...from the nose to the v of the tail. Good luck out there!

sturgeon.jpg

Last edited:

jerryt

Reaction score
There are Sturgeon everywhere right now. They have started to move into the shallow water during the middle of the tide but we have been moving back out to 30' of water as the tide slows and catching a lot of fish. We have been filling off the barbs on our normal set ups. I do not recommend using circle hooks. The barb-less hooks have not affected the hook and landing ratio. The key is still to keep tension on the fish at all times. Keepers have been tough for us to come by but quantity has not. Grizzly is full of Sturgeon and so is honker bay. Lots of 5lb stripers around as well. I've been fishing with a 7' rod, 5501 Shimano reels and 25lb line with a 30 lb leader. I catch more Sturgeon on my 7' rod with 15lb line striper setup however. It's quite fun to have that rod bent over with the tip touching the water.

Last edited:

inchr48

Reaction score
Sounds like a blast. Is this C&R fishing, or are they good table fare? I guess sturgeon roe is used for "caviar" also.

jerryt

Reaction score
In my mind Sturgeon is one of the top fish to eat. Nice white flakey meat and zero bones. There is a slot limit from 40 to 60 inches and only one per day and three per year.

ruger_mac

Reaction score
and don't forget your report card and, single barbless hook. I went out last week and was using my old tackle when I thought to myself i should double check the REG's. go figure I was breaking the law!! So I reeled up and corrected my blatant violations of the law.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom