Dening season

rlwright

Reaction score
What do you guys think about hunting coyotes during the dening season? I've read on a few varmit websites that it's common practice amoung coyote hunters to stop during the denning season. If I call one in while turkey hunting in a few weeks should I let em go or shoot em. Which brings me to another dilema, I haven't shot neither a yote or a turkey. If a coyote comes in to the turkey call...........

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Pretty much, it's your choice and can be decided on how you view the coyote.

The club I belong to and the other clubs we are in contact with don't hunt during the denning season.  We see it as producing stock for the coming seasons.

But some people see the coyote as a plague on the earth that will decimate all other game species if left unchecked.  Still others see the coyote as simply a chalenging quarry with no closed season.

It's really your own choice.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
  I usually don't do too much calling through the spring, since the pelts are pretty ratty looking around here. But, if I'm out and about somewhere, and run across one and he's in range I'll pop him.
  One way you might look at it during turkey season...if he's coming in to a turkey call, it's probably not his first turkey dinner,(or his last) so popping him will help out your local gobblers. Just gotta decide if taking the chance of spooking 'ol tom is worth it to you.
  Like Grey said it's pretty much personal choice. Shooting a few during the denning season won't hurt the population for long.                 Scott

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
I never do.

Northern California/Nevada - Mid-November - First weekend in February.

SoCal - Mid-November - Mid-January.

I shoot only for fur so there is really no other reason for me to go outside of those dates.

Eric

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
rlwright,

I hunt them anytime. Only problem I possibly see is, they may be more difficult to call in during denning time of year. Of course the hide hunters may not want their pelts at that time, which also makes sense, as does just being a personal preference as Greay stays.

However, what I do not understand is, not hunting them to have better populations later.  This goes against every study by various government agencies I have ever read over the last 35+ years.

In other words, one would have to wipe out approx 80% or more of a given area's coyote population to have an adverse effect on them.

And as Scott reminds us with Turkeys, coyotes are death on other types of birds and animals. In other words by trying to "save" coyote populations by not hunting them, we are murdering our other game species. Sometimes drastically !

Frank

songdog

Reaction score
It's like ground squirrels around here.  Some folks don't shoot them from about Feb thru May because of the young wanting to leave some for the next year.  Other shoot them specifically during those months because one bullet takes care of 5 or more squirrels.

Depends on if you're hunting for sport/fur or if you're hunting to get rid of a predator.  In either case, you're not going to be able to shoot out the squirrels or the coyotes.

Brian S

Reaction score
when I first saw this title I thought that a dening was some kind of varmit that I hadn't heard of. When do they den here in the southern cal area Eric, march and April?
Brian

redfox18

Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>If I call one in while turkey hunting in a few weeks should I let em go or shoot em.<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

my personal opionion is take anyone you can at anytime,ohio division of wildlife leaves our season open 24-7 365 days a year,I have never turkey hunted but my uncles have had them come to the turkey calls in southern ohio before.Im like everyone else its personal opionion.Our red fox populations are in jeopardy around here also,I know coyotes will kill them if they get the chance.

redfox18

Reaction score
Oh yeah if your in California,I strongly reccomend it,the antis have ruined the coyote trapping market in that state,I know a proffesional animal control officer from another site in california,and he does alot of what he calls "denning"there is one certain tool he is aloud to use to remove them from the den and dispatch them,they really have no choice not being able to use footholds,coyote #s are up according to him.

Just thought I would add that opionion to this topic

Hook

Reaction score
I have no problem hunting coyotes during the dening period. I dont think that we can make a dent in the population here in So. Cal. by hunting them during that time.

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>Quote: from Brian S on 3:50 pm on Mar. 8, 2002
when I first saw this title I thought that a dening was some kind of varmit that I hadn't heard of. When do they den here in the southern cal area Eric, march and April?
Brian
<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

Hey Brian.

I have seen Coyotes with (small) pups as early as February here in SoCal and as late as June.  It depends on many situations.  For example, I wonder what this mild winter will do to affect the denning season (earlier?).

Eric

Top Bottom