Desert Quail

Cazador Suerte II

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get a map that has the location of the guzzlers down in the imperial valley area??

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
You'll have to do some leg work. Check with DFG, BLM, USFS, whatever agency has jurisdiction over the land your thinking of hunting. Also find the link to Jim Matthews on Jesses page. Jim publishes Weatern Birds which has GPS coordinates and maps for guzzlers all over southern California.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
I'm back after being sentenced to that 4-letter word "WORK".
Ditto on the Matthews' newsletter.  It's saved me LOTS of hours of just tromping through fields.  Just plug in the GPS co-ords and get hunting. Good luck to everyone on the opener! (I'll be working)

Brown Trout

Reaction score
Qalhntr

I saw you driving down Lambert Tuesday afternoon. I tryed to catch up to say hi but couldn't quite get there. I too will be stuck on the sidelines this weekend with family commitments.  Hopefully the lucky ones will leave some birds for the rest of us.  I just started with Jim's newsletter after wavering on whether to spend the money for two years. How long have you been taking WB and how time sensitive is the information?

songdog

Reaction score
I just spent all day tromping around Rand Mountain in the Eastern Mojave area looking for guzzlers and only found one (and that one was visible from the road).

They're hard to find.  So if you can find GPS coordinates... go for it!

By the way... anyone have any for the Rand Mountain area?

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Brown Trout,
  If I was on Lambert, I was probably driving like an old fart.  Too much traffic to go fast.  I'm pretty much an information fiend (my wife says freak)so I've been with WB since day one.  I even took the old Bobby Rowell newsletter way back in'89.  I don't think much is time sensitive.  He gives out spots all year long.  He's got a turkey issue and his last issue highlighted the local duck spots with each blinds success ratio.  I've only gone to about a dozen of his spots and all but two paid off.  After the big burn we lost our spot near Luna Mountain.  I used his newsletter to head up to Rattlesnake Canyon & had a pretty good hunt.  As the kiddies get older, I'm hoping to get up into the Santa Barbara/Kern/Isabella areas to try out some new spots.  Good luck.

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Hey QALHNTR,
Your neighbor Marty M. met me in Bishop Sunday and I took him to my secret spot. he whipped out his $10 mallard call @ 6:30 and proceeded to scare the #$%@ out of the ducks. However, he managed to call a few dozen crows and a couple of horny cranes. We couldn't get him to shut up. I wanted to give you a heads up so when you go dear hunting with him this weekend you can throw his calls out somewhere on hwy 395. Otherwise your chances of getting raped by a black bear will increase substantially (you'll thank me later).  Marty talks highly of you . Perhaps we can hunt quail sometime(I know some hot spots near hwy138 and S.Sea).
sp

(Edited by wingman at 6:32 pm on Oct. 20, 2001)

(Edited by wingman at 6:51 pm on Oct. 20, 2001)

tinner

Reaction score
good news for some of us i work for the city of la and was working at fs88 in the valley i was talking to a fireman who was at the seco cyn fire last weekend he said he was on the dozzer woking seco and boquet cyns and saw 100s of quail the dozzer had them in a frenzy and they were well down from the actuall burn they might be ok

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Wingman,
    Anyone that can put up with Marty's antics is OK by me.  After work slows a little, I'll be ready for the hills or the S. Sea.  Marty was sitting in his car seat a little funny - maybe he did call in a horny bear?

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
QALHNTR,
I thought you were going with Marty this weekend to hunt deer? Well I understand that work comes first. Although, in my younger days, I would quit my job over hunting trips(those liberal #@$%&*@s just diddn't understand).

I have a spot to hunt Mountain Quail and V Quail about an hour or so from OC. When you get some time we should go (O.K. we can bring Marty).
Steve

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
If anyone has any water guzzler GPS coordinates you want to share, I'll start a webpage and list them along with quick directions to them. You can email them to me at spectr17@yahoo.com

Top Bottom