DESOLERING???

bowbender

Reaction score
I WAS GOING TO WORK ON A SENSOR LAST NIGHT AND I NEED TO DESOLDER THE FACTORY RELAY, HOW CAN I DO THIS? CAN I USE MY 15 WATT SOLDERING IRON TO MELT THE FACTORY SOLDER OUT OR WILL THIS DESTROY THE CIRCUIT BOARD?

(Edited by bowbender at 11:39 am on Aug. 7, 2001)

gizz

Reaction score
bowbender - you will need something like a solder sucker or solder wick(thin stranded fiber like copper).
I prefer the solder wick myself. What you do is lay the end of the solder wick on top of the joint then apply heat from your pen to the wick directly over the joint. The whole mess heats up and the solder gets absorbed into the wick. You'll then need to cut that little piece of wick away from your wick spool. The sucker just "sucks" the solder up once you have the joint liquified.
geez, it's easier to do than explain!

Jon Bain

Reaction score
I didn't have a solder sucker or wick so I stripped some stranded copper wire and twisted the strands to make a wick.  It worked fine.  If you're worried about the heat ruining something use a heat sink like a lockable hemostat to place inbetween the solder your heating and the electronic.  The heat will transfer into the heat sink rather than the electronic item.

gtk

Reaction score
Hey Jon.. Enjoyed your website...  Iz that u in the 1996 pics with all that long hair ??   LOL..  If it is, I'm glad to know i'm not the only one changing as I get older.. Lol

Jon Bain

Reaction score
I don't ever want to see that hair again.  They are deserters.  Left me high and dry with a solar pannel to catch the rays.  Yea, I had hair down to my a$$ in the 80's.  What a chick magnet when you live in a military town.  :shades-smoke

Oh yea, I've gained about 50 pounds since then too.

Top Bottom