Do you agree with the recomendations?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Duck Fan

Reaction score
OK, the DFG staff has posted up the recommendations for the season (lengths, bag limits, etc) that will be presented to the Commission this next week. Here you go:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wmd/waterfowlprogram.html

BOS:
86 days - split season with 7/5/2

So Cal - Late and Straight (I think that is good for socal, but concerned the pintail will take a beating in the early season as they will not yet be legal...and I think there will be some that 'miss ID' those birds.)

3 Specks (except Sac Valley - 2)!

foulshot

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
pintail Dec 2 - Jan 30 60 1[/b]
Opener will end up with hens in the tules, truly a shame.

I may have to head up north for the BOS, to get some time in before SoCal opener.

Thanks for posting Rick!

Duck Fan

Reaction score
Foulshot - I see you added a poll (I hadn't thought to do that - thanks)...

Nice to see an additonal Speck allowed but bummed it doesn't start in the Sac valley on the opening weekend with the other geese and ducks. It is delayed a week if I am reading this right.

And only 2 Specks in Sac valley - 3 elsewhere

BTW - I do agree with them and thank Dan Y for all the hard work

widgnwhacker

Reaction score
Ducks
Colorado River- all ducks except pintail & canvasback Oct 22 - Jan 30 (101 days) 7/7/2
pintail Dec 2 - Jan 30 (60 days) 1
canvasback Dec 2 - Jan 30 (60 days) 1

Geese
Colorado River Oct 22 - Jan 30 (101 days) 6/3/3

But everyone knows there ain't NO DUCKS or GEESE down here

Here are the Arizona Recommendations :

ARIZONA GAME AND FISH DEPARTMENT
Recommendations for the
2004-2005 Dove Seasons
Waterfowl Seasons

Hunt Guidelines
Commission Order 21: Waterfowl
General Waterfowl
Open Areas Legal Wildlife Notes Season Dates
Open Areas do not include any area closed to hunting under A.R.S. sections 17-303 and 17-304 or Commission Rules R12-4-301, R12-4-
801, R12-4-802 and R12-4-803.
Statewide Ducks including mergansers, coots, and
common moorhens (gallinules)
(1,2,3,4) Oct 15, 2004 - Jan 23, 2005
Statewide Pintail and canvasbacks (1,2,3,4) Nov 25, 2004 - Jan 23, 2005
Game Management Units 1 and 27 White geese (snow, blue and Ross') and
dark geese (Canada and white-fronted)
(3,4) Dec 1 - Jan 25, 2004
Game Management Units 22 and 23 White geese (snow, blue and Ross') and
(3,4) Nov 15 - Jan 25, 2004
Statewide EXCEPT Game Management Units 1, 22,
23, and 27
White geese (snow, blue and Ross') and
(1,2,3,4) Oct 15, 2004 - Jan 23, 2005
LAWFUL TAKING DEVICE: Shotgun, crossbow, bow and arrow or falconry as prescribed in R12-4-304.
LICENSE REQUIRED: Class F, G, or H license plus 2003-2004 Arizona Waterfowl Stamp. Falconers must be licensed pursuant to R12-
4-422 or exempted pursuant to R12-4-407.
SHOOTING HOURS: One-half hour before sunrise until sunset.
BAG LIMIT: The daily bag limit of ducks, including mergansers: Seven (7) per day not to include more than: two (2) redheads; one (1)
pintail (during the prescribed pintail and canvasback season); one (1) canvasback (during the prescribed pintail and canvasback
season); seven (7) mallards, no more than two (2) of which may be female or Mexican-like ducks; and four (4) scaup.
Coots and common moorhens (gallinules): Twenty-five (25) per day, singly or in the aggregate.
Geese: Three (3) white geese (snow, including blue and Ross’ geese) per day and three (3) dark geese (Canada and white-fronted) per
day.
FALCONRY BAG LIMIT: See Falconry-Only section.
POSSESSION LIMIT: The possession limit of ducks including mergansers: Fourteen (14) after opening day, only seven (7) of which may
be taken any one day, but no more than:
a. four (4) redheads
b. four (4) female mallards or Mexican-like ducks
c. two (2) pintails
d. eight (8) scaup
e. two (2) canvasbacks.
Coots and common moorhens (gallinules): Twenty-five (25) singly or in the aggregate.
Geese: Three (3) white geese (snow, including blue and Ross’ geese) and three (3) dark geese (Canada and white-fronted). In Yuma
and La Paz counties and Game Management Units 13B, 15 and that portion of 16 lying within Mohave County, six (6) white geese and
six (6) dark geese.

Most likely and following past experience California will adjust the Colorado River Zone to reflect the Arizona Game and Fish Departments Recommendations

Duck Fan

Reaction score
WW:

With all those dancing 'smilies' - I know you are happy!

Dan Mallia

Reaction score
Originally posted by Duck Fan@Jul 31 2004, 10:51 AM
Foulshot - I see you added a poll  (I hadn't thought to do that - thanks)...

Nice to see an additonal Speck allowed but bummed it doesn't start in the Sac valley on the opening weekend with the other geese and ducks.  It is delayed a week if I am reading this right.

And only 2 Specks in Sac valley - 3 elsewhere

BTW - I do agree with them and thank Dan Y for all the hard work

Remember guys, its only 2 specks/season length limit in the Sac Valley Goose Closure Area.

Here's a link showing the closure areas and reasons behind it.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wmd/tuleposter.pdf[/URL]

Duck Fan

Reaction score
WW - They are one of my absolute favorites...would love to get a full limit of them. I love your pics!

RuddyDuks

Reaction score
Looks good ( 7/5/2 ) except I would have like to see (7/5/1). Do you think the recommendations will hold up in August? Great to see and extra dark goose. Am I reading the goose bag correctly 3 darks and 3 whites =6?

Dan Mallia

Reaction score
Nope, its 3 geese of which 3 or 2 may be darks, depending on where you are hunting

widgnwhacker

Reaction score
Duckfan,

I do agree they are my FAVORITE DUCKS

If you ever get down this far south, we will just have to go out a get ya a limit of WIDGEON

Attachments

HUND

Reaction score
Nice widgeon

I was hoping for less birds and more days in the field

Duck Fan

Reaction score
WW - I'd love that.

My dad had a license plate in CA and it read "WIDGEON". He had that up until the day he died in 1991. It was on his Fireball Motor home.

He knew the value of that bird...and passed that on down to me.

I know a lot of guys are big time mallard guys...but a limit of baldpates is easily as great as any greenhead limit - IMO..............

The Rumpot

Reaction score
Whacker,

Nice looking baldies. Look like February birds, they are so plumed up. Looks like a few of those will be hanging in the Sac valley this season. If you start to struggle this year because 80% of the baldies you normally kill are in some Roseville guy's freezer, get yourself another SWD. Those baldies are bigger whores for that spinner than mallards.

Where's my "promo" lanyard? You know how many of those I can sell for you?

widgnwhacker

Reaction score
Duckfan,

The offer stands anytime! Sounds like your Father was a wise and knowledgeable man
I have been thinking of a plate for my rig with a similar name. I like you am just as happy with a full bag of Baldies anyday. I think Mallards are overrated.

Rumpot,

Those are early December birds, if one was to be hunting in February that might present a problem with the law
, Im not to worried about not having enough Baldies here in my part of the country. The Roseville guys freezer may have a few but no where near the Yuma boys freezer

The SWD's may work well there in your neck of the woods on Widgeon, but they don't work worth a damn down here. All they do is make them flare and land down river a few hundred yards.

The right decoy spread, minimum amount of the right calling and being well concealed and camo'd works best for me

SaltonSeadog

Reaction score
WW How would you know if they flare the birds? We know there are no birds around there! Also, not one duck anywhere near the Salton Sea.

widgnwhacker

Reaction score
SSD,

Shame on me
what was I thinking
It must be all this heat that has made my mind wonder off into some elusion of a waterfowl mecca

Maybe I was thinking of hunting ducks in Arkansas, cuz you are correct, there are NO ducks here and they damn sure ain't on that Salty Ol' Pond

Baldplate

Reaction score
If I am reading the reccomendations correctly, they is no change in the bag limit for specks where it counts the most(ie Klamath basin & Special Sac closure area). It will help some in the Mendota area/grasslands, if they arrive there in good numbers like two years ago. I can't understand why the area affecting the Kern NWR is going to open a week earlier then Mendota, so much for the sweat line on this opener, it will be a zoo for sure. The split works for us in the southern portion of the state, but i know my friends up north won't be happy.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom