DFG CITES POACHER FOR HARVESTING GIANT (BLACK) SEA BASS

CA DFG RSS Feed

Reaction score
Media Contacts: Warden Patrick Foy, DFG Law Enforcement, (916) 651-2084 A California Department of Fish and Game (DFG) warden cited a southern California man for an illegal take of giant (black) sea bass.### Scott Andrew Carlton, 30, of Corona Del Mar was spear fishing on Friday night at approximately 7:30 p.m. at Salt Creek Beach [...]

More...

henmar77

Reaction score
only seen one of those before. must have been pushing 300.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
I and many people I know. catch and release them all the time, I doubt there actually endangered any longer, but that is by no means an excuse for poaching. It sure would be nice to see a study done to see if they can be declassified as endangered, but in this state, I doubt it would change anything, as this state seems to be a preservation state, at any expense, other species, even the supposedly protected species. I can only wish this state returns to being an actual management state (of its game and fish).

californiabull

Reaction score
I've caught a 100lb version off of Goleta beach before, safely released him though. Beautiful fish...

Plain ol' Steve

Reaction score
I see them quite frequently while spear fishing. Its no excuse, but endangered? I highly doubt they are endagered any longer.

henmar77

Reaction score
regardless, i dont see the need to keep any unless its for bragging rights. plenty of good eating fish available in the sea. Catch it take a pic and catch another...

Plain ol' Steve

Reaction score
Like wise I see no need to restict the take of any sustainable resource.

I suppose you could make the same same argument about WSB, calico, YT etc. And if you give "them" the chance "they" will.

henmar77

Reaction score
Like wise I see no need to restict the take of any sustainable resource.

I suppose you could make the same same argument about WSB, calico, YT etc. And if you give "them" the chance "they" will.
I see your point. however, to compare the black sea bass to those fish is not really fair. Considering that the black sea bass does not reproduce in the same numbers and takes longer to reach maturity. So fishing for them at the same rate as a Calico will put them right back where they were years ago. With that said. It would be nice if the did a drawing or limited tags like hunting.

Plain ol' Steve

Reaction score
I see your point. however, to compare the black sea bass to those fish is not really fair. Considering that the black sea bass does not reproduce in the same numbers and takes longer to reach maturity. So fishing for them at the same rate as a Calico will put them right back where they were years ago. With that said. It would be nice if the did a drawing or limited tags like hunting.
100% agree.

TonyS

Reaction score
Lol, there is nothing like hooking up to one and pulling like crazy. Then when you get it up within 15 feet of the surface down it goes. It's kinda like hooking a VW on the bottom. Oh, and your arms feel great the next day. Especially when you comb your hair.

Top Bottom