DFG link to this talk forum pulled!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
This website (Jesse's Hunting Page), was provided a link from the DFG hunting website after I asked DFG for the link in late March 2001, after Hoss's "California Hunting and Fishing" website ceased to exist anymore. Several of you have emailed me and asked what happened to the link.

We've had to ban 2 users, both multiple times, from this forum for using foul language and the posting of private emails without the sender's permission. Both actions are against the agreement you accepted when you register to use this forum. These simple and FAIR rules are to maintain some appearance of order and privacy here.

I believe these 2 banned users than complained to the DFG to have the link removed. If you enjoy using this talk forum and would like to see the link put back up on the DFG webpage, you can email the director Robert Hight at [email]rhight@dfg.ca.gov[/email] and the DFG webmaster at  jedwards@dfg.ca.gov .

There is also a citizen's complaint form you can download or you can call the local DFG office to recieve it by mail. The complaint form download website is
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/html/complain.html

Thank you for your help and for making this talk forum a success.

~Jesse

Swampy

Reaction score
          Be it hunters, drivers, sports stars, etc. In all aspects of life, there will always be at least one in the bunch. DFG should not have pulled the link off their page without checking the facts. I am sending the DFG my views on their action. I hope everyone else does the same.

Jay

Reaction score
This is a pretty sticky issue here.

It's one thing to have a "bad" word editor built into the bulletin board, but it's quite another to ban somebody.

I personally don't know what got the two guys kicked off the board but the fact is that anytime one person has the authority to censor another, there's bound to be a disagreement over what's appropriate.

I've been taking a few pokes at Scank because I feel like he's always ragging on "refuge hunters" of which I am one. Is that appropriate behavior for me to needle him? Is it a personal attack? Am I about to get banned from the bulletin board and I don't even know it?

Look at it from DFG's point of view. They provide a public website that's accessible to all members of the public. Then they provide a link from their publicly accessible website to a bulletin board where the moderator bans people for what may be very legitimate reasons.

I understand and agree with Jesse's desire to run a clean bulletin board. I may even agree with his reasons for banning a couple of guys (although I don't know what they were). But I can also understand DFG's reluctance to provide a link to a bulletin board that is not open to all members of the public.

Too bad it's come to this.  

I've frequented this bulletin board because the DFG link provides a source of new people and fresh ideas. Without that DFG link I'm afraid that this bulletin board will become ingrown and stale.

Does the DFG have any requirements in order to restore the link from their website? If so, I think they should seriously be considered.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Jay,

The  moderators and I have better things to do than ask someone repeatedly to stop registering under names like "YOU CAN SUCK ME". Both these knuckleheads were asked to stop and they persisted. I do not like censorship either but we have to have some decorum here.

I know the waterfowl forum gets pretty rowdy, it is in most waterfowl forums I visit. If it gets too personal or the thread deteriorates into a name calling match it will probably be locked or deleted. What good does all that bring anyways. Like many other forums, a warning is usually enough to tone the name calling down. These 2 actually had nothing to do with the waterfowl forum, they decided to push their agendas and they refused to abide by the rules they signed up under.

These two posted to another forum they would try and get the link removed and it appears they did. I received no notice the DFG link by was being pulled nor a reason why, which is not very objective. DFG even has a statement on their "Links" webpage that they do not endorse or vouch for the links, that they are provided as a courtesy only.

I agree that a link from DFG is a great help in getting new blood into this or any forum. I was one of the first to promote Hoss's board all over the Internet hunting forums to help it get going. It was a great idea by Hoss and I was glad to help get the people in there. I had to use the alias "California Boy" to keep from ruining my welcome on a few other hunting forums.

That also was the reason I took on this extra workload to get this forum up to continue the flow of info. Some people have expressed they don't like this format structure and they are free to visit other forums they like better or even start their own.

The DFG link is important to keep the forum growing, word of mouth can also sustain  new members. If you enjoy the forum please show your support with an email to DFG for a link.

~Jesse

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Today Jack Edwards replied to my email. He stated that DFG will no longer link to any talk forums. He did put up a link to my main webpage. No reason was given as to why DFG will no longer link to any talk forum. You can still email Jack Foster and try to change their decision if you want.

As for the 2 knuckleheads, 1 continues to register here under other aliases to post foul and inflammatory posts. He is also active on other talk forums doing the same. He uses AOL for an ISP and so far AOL has not responded to my emails detailing his activivty. If you see obvious posts by this immature clown, please disregard them and we'll delete them as soon as we can.

Thanks for you help and patience.

~Jesse

jerry d

Reaction score
spectr17,

I e-mailed Mr. Edwards just before your last post on the subject appeared and his reply to me was the same as you received. At least he left your link on their website links.

He also said he had concerns about the old "California Hunting and Fishing" link and would have removed it had it not shut down. From what he said, it appears that people believe the DF&G is conducting the forums and they wish to distance themselves from this notion and make it clear that these are private websites not connected to DF&G.

Scank

Inactive
Reaction score
Since the majority of people addressing this web page are waterfowl hunters you would think the California Waterfowl Association would have a link. The CWA does have a link to the Sierra Club . Sad, real sad!!

Swampy

Reaction score
Ouch! Gotta agree with you there. Getting hunters together for these bull sessions is a good thing.  The free flow of thoughts and ideas over the internet can only be a positive. (Except maybe a couple of immature idiots). I would like to thank the administrators, moderators, and the homepage for this forum.  

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
Scank
What is really sad is people like you are able to feed incorrect information around the net and the unknowing may actually believe you.  If Jesse wants to be added to the link on the CWA web, all he has to do is call CWA and make the request.  It ain't that tough, but Jesse probably has been busy and it may not have of occurred to him.  Besides it wouldn't be a direct link on the home page - it would be in links page with other waterfowl sights.  So it may not move the volume of folks to the site a homepage link at DFG will.  Anyhow I would incourage Jesse to include his sight in the links.  If you want to do this Jesse just drop me a message an I'll be happy to call the appropiate folks for you.  Jesse, I hope Scank isn't going to start blaming you now for not requesting to be linked.

hronk

Reaction score
Mike:  You are starting to sound like "RON" on the old Hunting Forum page!  Don't you ever say nice things or do you always put down those around you?......hronk

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Mike,

I'm sure we would all appreciate a link from CWA. If you want, please send me an email addy to send my request.

Thanks.

steve

Reaction score
Jesse got  the forum up and going I think that gives him a right to set the standards .I dont think that he set them to terrible high.I sure do appreciate the strong opinions held and sometimes to freely given,but it sure is nice to be able to let my 3 young boys  read  hunters ideas without having to worry about the language.I guess to me its simple if you agreed to the standard set forth you should follow it.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom