DFG Pheasant Hunts

paulc

Reaction score
my wife got drawn for the womens hunt and my son got drawn for the jr. hunt.. i get to watch..

Soccer Dad

Reaction score
Are these the pheasant hunts in So. Cal?  I live in No. Cal and I didn't realize we have any due dates upon us.

prohunter

Reaction score
i never heard of a pheasant draw. where is this at? i guess i never paid much attention since we just drive out to one of our fields and shoot them.

Slugblaster

Reaction score
My 2 boys drew the Junior hunt in Gorman for the 2nd year in a row for Oct. 13 and we got the family hunt at Casitas in Dec.

willowcrick

Reaction score
My wife drew for womens hunt oct.14, son drew for junior hunt in nov. and also we drew a family hunt in dec.  There are more hunts planned in Kettleman City and Bakersfield. Call DFG and they will mail or fax the applications. I think they are due by oct. 26 but the hunts are in nov. and dec.

paulc

Reaction score
willowcrick is your wifes hunt in gorman area on the 14th.. if so i may see you there.. my wife has one for that day.. i took her trap shooting today.. this is only the 2nd time she has shot a shotgun.. not so good.. about 6 out of 25...  hope those pheasent fly slow..

willowcrick

Reaction score
Paulc,

Yes we are going to be there Sunday the 14th. My wife has shot clays a little bit but live feathers is a whole different deal. I've had pheasants flush hundreds of times and that sound still gives me a start every time. I took her out this past Sunday and put out some pidgeons and had the dogs find and flush them so she could get a feeling of how it all works. She didnt hit any and my son and I backed her up but she had a good time and will feel more comfortable than if she had not done it at all before.
She can shoot my sons 12 gauge 11-87  but it looks like a good excuse to get a nice little 20. Any excuse to put something else in the safe without getting in trouble should be taken advantage of. I drive a white chev with WLOCRIK license. Maybe I will see you there. Good luck

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I got drawn last year for the family hunt in Jamul.  It was really great to see the DFG money put to work.  I didn't put in for it this year for two reasons:

First, the whole reason behind the program is to introduce new hunters to the sport.  That's why all those who complete a hunter safety course get a free pass to one - I wouldn't want to take away an opportunity from a newbie.

Second, as a hunter whose hunted on public land and knows the difference between a planted bird and a wild bird, I'll take the wild bird any day!!  The birds had absolutely no tails and you had to almost kick the birds up.

Don't get me wrong, the program is great and we had a blast, especially chasing that rooster up and down a hill.  We had our limit of six birds for the three of us.  They had dogs available to use.  If you want to get your dog some additional training, it’s a great place to do it.

lostagain

Reaction score
Got drawn last year (Gorman) and the DFG (w/QU's help) did a good job at running it. Somewhere in between a Rahaugees and a wild pheasant hunt (more space, same type of birds). I have not seen any mail this year for it. My wife has figured out that anything with DFG on it should be filed prior to my reading it.

Top Bottom