diesel is killing me

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I only drive about 8 miles to work so commuting wise the price of diesel isn't too much of a factor. For me, however, commuting only accounts for a small portion of my overall driving. Fun makes up the majority of the miles I put on my truck. The problem now is that I am finding myself doing less fun things because of the cost of fuel. Go scout for turkeys? Too expensive to make the 60-70 mile run each way. Load up my 4 wheler and go riding? Take the 3d targets, bow, and rifles out to the sticks for practice? Go check some of my deer stands? Same story. These are all things I love to do in the offseason and a year ago I'd never even think twice. Now my travel for fun decisions have to be weighed with the cost of fuel. This means I spend more time around the house. My wife likes it but I hate it. So what is the solution?

Has anyone considered parking their diesel in the driveway, only using it when needed, and buying a smaller 4cyl gas truck? I don't want to get rid of my diesel as I tow a boat and also need it for long out of state trips when I need the bed and cab room. Not to mention the fact that I'd probably take a bath trying to sell my truck. I could buy a mini truck for a few grand, but then I'm paying extra insurance, registration, maintence, etc? Where does it start to make sense? A few grand spent on a smaller truck could buy a lot of diesel. Will it save money in the long run? This situation sucks. Any solutions to ease the pain?

As a side note, anyone think diesel will ever get back to being cheaper than gas the way it should be?

One Track

Reaction score
I have the answer! Buy a Suzuki Samurai! Great gas mileage. I'll pay for the hog rack!

2rocky

Reaction score
SD

You are in my head!

The Duramax is my wifes Family Car. She shuttles the kids to school for a total of 8 miles, but also runs to town 10-15 miles each way probably 4 times a week. That alone is 1/2 a tank of fuel each week MINIMUM. so I'm shelling out $100 every 2 weeks for fuel alone. That doesn't even count any weekend shoots or long trips. I won't get rid of it though. We need something to pull the gooseneck stock trailer, and haul feed.
"don't mind that pink stain under the gas cap officer, i uh , spilled a slurpee....."

My company rig is a Trailblazer, and I certainly am doing a lot more errand running to save my wife special trips to town. But at 15-20 mpg,it isn't that much cheaper to travel with it, and it is smaller.

Maybe it's time to look at a Minivan SD. You could paint flames on the sides, or a number 18...I'm sure the kids are in the future anyway....

SDHNTR

Reaction score
No minivans in my future dude. I like the slurpee idea. I'm with ya, but I don't live in the sticks and our quickee marts don't sell the cherry flavor.

I'm taking it in the shorts for $4.19. I love my truck and it gets good mileage but damn, those quicky excurions out of town are brutal!

2rocky

Reaction score
Yeah, we talked about Mrs. 2rocky and the kids making the drive to San Diego in June, but that probably won't happen.

I'm sure the folks that make fuel economy chips and programmers are profiting from the high fuel costs.
http://www.truckaddons.com/hypertech/max-e...estimonials.pdf

I wonder about the extra wear on other parts...
Right now on our cutomer direct loads we are looking at 30% fuel surcharges from our sub haulers. When you call the trucking companies, they ain't in a real good mood..

Mntngoat

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2rocky @ Apr 3 2008, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
"don't mind that pink stain under the gas cap officer, i uh , spilled a slurpee....."[/b]
Nahh that pink stain Is fuel I disposed of from my employer's boat.

One tank of the red stuff will dye your fuel filter for the life of it so you may want to change it more often if you fear ever getting checked.

ML

Mntngoat

Reaction score
I have a Smarty programmer for my 2500 CTD and it has helped with the mileage but the short trips and idling is what kills it for me. 12 miles each way to work and 1/2 of it on the highway doesn't help. When I go any distance say 50-100 miles I average about 18-19 MPG.

Has anyone given any thought to Bio? If the price gets much worse I may consider tooling up fro it. Just want to make sure I have a supply of WVO before I commit.

ML

jmabbott888

Reaction score
I used to work with a guy that ran used atf in his diesel vw rabbit, he went thru filters twice as often as diesel but the atf was free at work. I parked my 74 Chevy truck because of gas prices & got an 88 Volvo sedan to commute & camp out of, works great & if it gets scratched dented, dirty etc who cares it only cost & grand & is bullet proof.

richardoutwest

Reaction score
Like I told you on the phone Bro, my 10,000 lbs. of turbo blowing White Death in on the auction block. I am down sizing to a half ton and even thinking of a 6. Like I said, 4 to 5 years and we are looking at prices compairable to Europe, thats $9 to $12 a gallon!

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Pre-86 Toyota 4x4 with the 22R and solid front axle. Cost a couple of grand, work on it yourself, insure it with liability only, and you'll do all right.

Maybe buy Ed's.

You can fudge the break-even point, in that you can probably sell it at anytime in the future for what you bought it for.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rancho Loco @ Apr 3 2008, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Pre-86 Toyota 4x4 with the 22R and solid front axle. Cost a couple of grand, work on it yourself, insure it with liability only, and you'll do all right.

Maybe buy Ed's.

You can fudge the break-even point, in that you can probably sell it at anytime in the future for what you bought it for.[/b]
I'm curious why pre '86?

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Solid front axle.

I would argue that they're this generation's VW Bug. Cheap disposable parts, run forever, can't kill them, fun to drive.

superduty

Reaction score
SD, I can't tell you how much this one has been on my mind too. The wife drives a diesel 4x4 Excursion 26mil to town everyday of the week plus normal driving. Myself with a 350 diesel driving 60mil to and from work and the new mental debate you have that never seemed to be there before. I can't afford to just go plinking or exploring too far anymore which could and should happen on a daily basis. I just don't know how to tell you how pissed I was when they stole my Toyota 4x4 out of my driveway in Cali. That one would have been with me forever. Maybe I should turn the buggy into street legall and start using VW power to do the commute?

foulshot

Reaction score
I've spent over $300 bucks in the last 2 weeks in fuel. At these rates I could own a decent car in less than a year. Our prices are a little lower than yours in Cali, but not much. On average I drive at least 70miles per day. Like you SD, this is really putting a cramp in my playtime, not to mention the wallet!

I've been looking at a few different cars as my option. Anything that gets over 30mpg would seem to be the ticket. After taking a long drive with COhunter this weekend in his wifes Toyota Carolla, I'm adding that one to the list. 42 mpg!

I'd look at a TDI Jetta, but its still diesel. 50mpg does sound nice though.

quack_head

Reaction score
Drive at a slower speed! The less rpms you spin that diesel the less fuel it uses. You still can't beat a diesel. Even at 4.20 a gallon. It is less than 20.00 dollars differnce to fill 44 gallons 4.19-3.80.

duckhunterflyfisher

Reaction score
Seems like an oppotunity here, just need an empty tanker and some wanting for adventure. Both gas and diesel are running about $2 a gallon in Mexico, CNN ran a story yesterday about truckers crossing into Mexico to fillup. Hell I am only about 5 hours from the boarder less than 400 miles away. Drive down fill up at $2 a gallon, drive it back across the border, sell it for $3 a gallon, after costs you would be looking at a nice profit for short work. A tanker holds what 20K gallons right? At todays gas prices, you are looking at a 40K investment, after costs you would end up with a take away of about 20K each run. Who's with me. Of corse this would all be illegal but worth it! Figure you could do about 5 trips a week, $400K a month each truck and driver. Just need the tankers, a holding tank on this side of the border, and some people wanting to take the risk with me.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Maybe while you're hauling that empty tanker back down into "the old country", you could take a truckload of illegals with you. I mean since it's going to be an illegal venture from the start.

quack-head. Even at $4.20 a gallon, will the increased fuel mileage make the cost per mile less?

duckhunterflyfisher

Reaction score
Just found this. See how we compare globally to other countries. I think the gas smuggling is a great idea. Lets roll. How many illegals can we fit in a tanker?

Anyone have a super tanker in the gulf coast. Lets roll to Caracas. The women are hot too. Not as hot as Colombian women but close.

Global gas prices «Click column headings to re-sort»
City Effective Date Price in USD
Regular/Gallon
Caracas Apr-06 $0.12
Kuwait Apr-06 $0.78
Riyadh Apr-06 $0.91
Buenos Aires May-06 $2.21
Mexico City May-06 $2.25
Beijing May-06 $2.40
Johannesburg May-06 $3.70
Sydney May-06 $3.76
Mumbai May-06 $4.13
Brasilia Apr-06 $4.60
Tokyo May-06 $4.93
Frankfurt May-06 $6.10
Rome May-06 $6.15
Brussels May-06 $6.33
London May-06 $6.36
Hong Kong May-06 $6.54
Oslo May-06 $6.99

Note: Self-service prices have been collected where available (usually in No. American, Europe and Japan)

Top Bottom