diesel is killing me

quack_head

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BelchFire @ Apr 24 2008, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Maybe while you're hauling that empty tanker back down into "the old country", you could take a truckload of illegals with you. I mean since it's going to be an illegal venture from the start.

quack-head. Even at $4.20 a gallon, will the increased fuel mileage make the cost per mile less?[/b]
Do you really need a answer for the formula you already laid out?

Seems like everyone today is full throttle from beginning to end.

I am self employed, Right now I am using a 2006 GMC canyon for my service truck. I cruise no more than 60 mph. I can get 25-27 mpg out of it. I get 15-18 out of my diesel. But, it is loaded down. I cruise no more than 60 in it also. Yea, I am the guy on I-5 going 60 with the chocolate lab hanging out the window...

If I was is a hurry I would have left the day before.

foulshot

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (quack_head @ Apr 24 2008, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Drive at a slower speed! The less rpms you spin that diesel the less fuel it uses. You still can't beat a diesel. Even at 4.20 a gallon. It is less than 20.00 dollars differnce to fill 44 gallons 4.19-3.80.[/b]
My F250 doesn't care if I'm doing 6800 or 7400 rpm, the MPG are still the same. Now just multiply that $20 on how many more times I'm filling up, there is a difference.

If you drive 60, I hope you stay in the slow lane.

swampy tim

Reaction score
I have long thought that deisle is the answer to our fuel problem. It is blendable and has more btu per unit. I think the problem is the mamouth engines that are in the pick up trucks. Consider that Evenrude out-boards claim more power and fewer emisions that popular 4 stroke motors of the same size. Why can't that technology be aplied to the small (older) Detriot 2 stroke deisles like the 3-53 or 4-53 or for the power hungery a 6V71? I bet an engine set up the way an Evenrude is would give 40 mpg at crusing speed, and have enough power to pull a barn sideways down the road. We have to stop asking for big displacment and start asking for technological advancement. S/T

quack_head

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (foulshot @ Apr 27 2008, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (quack_head @ Apr 24 2008, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Drive at a slower speed! The less rpms you spin that diesel the less fuel it uses. You still can't beat a diesel. Even at 4.20 a gallon. It is less than 20.00 dollars differnce to fill 44 gallons 4.19-3.80.[/b]
My F250 doesn't care if I'm doing 6800 or 7400 rpm, the MPG are still the same. Now just multiply that $20 on how many more times I'm filling up, there is a difference.

If you drive 60, I hope you stay in the slow lane.
[/b][/quote]

Totally impossible,

I don't know of a diesel that spins 6800 rpm. If you are spinning 68-7400 in your gas rig, well then you have no concern for fuel economy.

Your diesel puts out 79 cc per cylinder @45% load @ 2800 rpm. Lower the speed to 2000 rpm load will decrease with engine speed. 2000 rpm at 38% load at 66 cc per cylinder. Thats 2 gallons. Just over.

These are just a example.

I would get killed in the fast lane. I am out here in the farm land anyway.

quack_head

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swampy tim @ Apr 27 2008, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have long thought that deisle is the answer to our fuel problem. It is blendable and has more btu per unit. I think the problem is the mamouth engines that are in the pick up trucks. Consider that Evenrude out-boards claim more power and fewer emisions that popular 4 stroke motors of the same size. Why can't that technology be aplied to the small (older) Detriot 2 stroke deisles like the 3-53 or 4-53 or for the power hungery a 6V71? I bet an engine set up the way an Evenrude is would give 40 mpg at crusing speed, and have enough power to pull a barn sideways down the road. We have to stop asking for big displacment and start asking for technological advancement. S/T[/b]
Wow, them italian diesels have to many moving parts in them.

Man, them thump thump engines just could not make emissions today. Hey, they where ahead of their time back then.

Mntngoat

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (foulshot @ Apr 27 2008, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

If you drive 60, I hope you stay in the slow lane.[/b]

ZACH you run that PowerJoke I mean Ford at 6800 RPM? My CTD red lines at 3100. Best mileage if if I can keep it under 2000 RPM.

ML

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
I'm thinking that he had a truck in a previous life that had the tach and the speedo backwards from the Ferd.

richardoutwest

Reaction score
I got rid of the F-250 PowerStroke! I am now in a Dodge 5.7 Hemi. 18.5 on the Highway, more than the diesel and $1.00 less per gal. I don't have ta worry about the $80.00 oil changes or the cost of the diesel anymore!

swampy tim

Reaction score
I took a Detroit class years ago and the instuctor told us that the Detroit could be tuned to run as clean as any engine. It is all a matter of adjusting the valve timming. Why couldn't the new technology being used on 2 stroke outboards be employed on say a new version of a Detroit 2 stoke? Then burn blended diesle and abolish this friggin' ethinol BS. S/T

quack_head

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (richardoutwest @ Apr 28 2008, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I got rid of the F-250 PowerStroke! I am now in a Dodge 5.7 Hemi. 18.5 on the Highway, more than the diesel and $1.00 less per gal. I don't have ta worry about the $80.00 oil changes or the cost of the diesel anymore![/b]
Thats pretty good Rich. What do you get when you load it down?

quack_head

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swampy tim @ Apr 28 2008, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I took a Detroit class years ago and the instuctor told us that the Detroit could be tuned to run as clean as any engine. It is all a matter of adjusting the valve timming. Why couldn't the new technology being used on 2 stroke outboards be employed on say a new version of a Detroit 2 stoke? Then burn blended diesle and abolish this friggin' ethinol BS. S/T[/b]
92 series had electronic controlled injectors in there later life. With the emission standards today and the last couple of years. The 2 stroke technology could not compete with the market that Cummins and Caterpillar have in the 4 cycle engine. Detroit is still the leader in innovation. There are more 60 series Detroit's on the highway than any other engine.

The new technology is a common fuel rail. Before, injectors relied on a integral pump. Cam, injection pump, etc. They could control the timing within a range. The pump that made the pressure restricted the ability for total timing control.

The common rail fuel system is a rail with high pressure continuous. So, injection timing can be controlled more precise. Most diesel engines now have a pre injection before the power injection occurs. Turbochargers are variable now. The list goes on.

All ends to one thing. If you are going to own a new diesel, buy the longest warranty you can. You will not be able to afford the cost of failed parts.

Dubya D

Reaction score
Ever think of biodiesel? A buddy of mine is looking at making his own w/the possibility of selling what he doesn't use...just a thought.
See the link below about processor

LINK

richardoutwest

Reaction score
quack-head, loaded it is getting around 12.5 heavy and in hill country. 18.5 is putting along around 62 mph. For a gas engine, it pulls the hills pretty good. Like I said, it is the first Dodge I have ever owned, they seem to be everywhere!

Coues

Reaction score
Converting trucks/cars to NG is big business in AZ. If you have NG in your home, you can fill up in your garage for less than a $1/gal.

I think it cost $3-4K for the conversion, but that would pay for itself quite fast and there is a tax rebate too I believe. You get to drive the diamond lane too.

quack_head

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (richardoutwest @ Apr 29 2008, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
quack-head, loaded it is getting around 12.5 heavy and in hill country. 18.5 is putting along around 62 mph. For a gas engine, it pulls the hills pretty good. Like I said, it is the first Dodge I have ever owned, they seem to be everywhere![/b]
12.5 loaded is not bad at all. I could live with that. I had a 2004 gmc with the 8.2 gas. I had that truck loaded. Compressor, crane, tools, etc. It pulled the grapevine real good. But, it would use the fuel up under that load.

Mntngoat

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (richardoutwest @ Apr 28 2008, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I got rid of the F-250 PowerStroke! I am now in a Dodge 5.7 Hemi. 18.5 on the Highway, more than the diesel and $1.00 less per gal. I don't have ta worry about the $80.00 oil changes or the cost of the diesel anymore![/b]
200K miles from now lets see what the resale value is. I think the diesels are just getting broken in about that point.

ML

Mntngoat

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dubya D @ Apr 28 2008, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ever think of biodiesel? A buddy of mine is looking at making his own w/the possibility of selling what he doesn't use...just a thought.

LINK[/b]

Ive considered the waste vegetable oil, but have a concern about making sure I can find enough WVO to be able to process enough fuel.

ML

quack_head

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mntngoat @ Apr 30 2008, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dubya D @ Apr 28 2008, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LINK[/b]

Ive considered the waste vegetable oil, but have a concern about making sure I can find enough WVO to be able to process enough fuel.
ML
[/b][/quote]

Are you kidding me? There is a McDonalds, Burger King, Jack n Box on every corner.

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
blah blah blah!!!! You want a real solution, get yourself one of these bad boys!

jackrabbit

Reaction score
Coues, is there enough pressure in a residential natural gas line to fill a vehicle tank? I used to drive a company car that ran on both NG and gasoline and when refilling the NG it took forever to top it off due to the pressure requirement -- and this was at an industrial refill station. Would a homeowner need an additional compressor/pump/tank for the refill? And what about homeowner insurance issues for a home refill system, any risks? The company car did well on the NG and then auto switched to gasoline when the NG tank was empty, if a person could refill at home, NG would seem like a good deal for local commuting. Meanwhile I'm still happy with my 7.3 Superduty (for recreational use only).

Latest Posts

Top Bottom