Different power source for the 370

davered1

Reaction score
I know it's been posted but not much came of last post. Anyone tried running the 370 off of 4 c's or D's yet?

I am going to build another digital and I think I am going to run everything(MS20,brians timer,and 370) off of the 4 c cell batteries. Should last alot longer than the AA's

I am looking to get at least 2 weeks out of a cam so I can pack a couple up into the alpine for some truly "wild " grizzlies.

Any suggestions?? Tinhorn,arch,brian...etc.....

Shouldn't be too much of a load should it?

4 D's better?????

Thanks

gizz

Reaction score
Hi Davered. I haven't done it yet cause i'm just starting but.....you should be able to use the AC/Adapter input on the camera for feeding the camera from your "D" battery cradle. Since i don't have my cam yet i'm not even sure what it looks like inside. You would have to figure out the tip from the AC adapter as to whether it's tip + or tip - then you could purchase a matching tip assembly from Radio shack(they're very inexpensive - couple $'s). I did this for an electronic game caller i made a couple months ago and it works flawlessly. Should work well in the case too.
Do you have the AC adapter? Does anyone? If anyone does they could test the tip with the multimeter to know whether it's + or -
Anyone?

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
davered1, I am planning on mine this week to power it with a 6volt, 7.5 ahr gell cell battery. I have a couple from fire alarm systems and think it will work well and be able to fill my media card at the same time. I'll let you know when I finish. MC.

gizz positive post in the center. MC.

(Edited by MCinIL at 7:11 pm on June 24, 2002)

gizz

Reaction score
Thanks MC.

One more thing on this. The D batteries from powerex are up to 7500maH as compared to the 1800maH of the AA's. This would mean that if you're getting 7 days on AA's you should get 4 WEEKS! on D's.

(Edited by gizz at 10:52 pm on June 24, 2002)

davered1

Reaction score
Thanks, gizz I hadn't even thought of using the 6V jack. I don't have one but it says on side of cam the tip is positive .seems so easy I am feeling kinda stupid for asking:im-with-stupid:

Mcinl how many  maH's is your battery going to have? let me know how long it lasts

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
devered1, I don't know the maH"s but it says on the battery 4.5Amp Hr. It is about 1.75x2.75x4 inches and runs our fire alarms a long time. Mabey someone here knows how many maHr's that is. MC.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like a wonderful trip Dave. Take SEVERAL cards with you and watch your back.

Steiner

Reaction score
There is 1000 mAhrs in 1 Ahr.  Therefore a battery with 4.5 Ahrs would have 4500 mAhrs.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Dave, Guys,

Here is something to consider also.  You might want to do the low power mods and run the sensor off a 9 volt.  Use the D-Pack for the camera only.  I think it will cause the sensor to oscilete when the batteries start to get low as the capacitor recharges.  Go into one of those endless loops and shoot up the remainder of the card and batts.  Just a thought.

The mods are really easy if you just replace the parts like john outlines.  finish the mods like you always do and everything will work fine,

vman

Reaction score
I posted this elsewhere, but i guess it fits here better..
I got a adaptaplug from Radio shack today.(RS# 273-1714)  It is the size required for the 370.  It cost $1.99.  It has one downfall being the soldering points since it was not designed for this.  Anyway if it works its better then buying an adapter at $?.  I will play around with this and take some pic tonight.

vman

Reaction score
Well here are the results.  It didn't work.  I'm getting 6.5 volts are the plug, but I think the plug might be just a little small.  Anyway I guess its back to Radio shack on Friday to try again.  They all kinds of different plugs.  I guess I should have looked closer.  

gizz

Reaction score
Vman - take your camera with you and you should be able to try some different plugs. This is what i did for the e-caller and for the first time the guy behing the counter was helpful. JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET THE + and - straightened out and double check with a meter. Not sure what it would do to the cam but i wouldn't try it.
gizz

vman

Reaction score
The guy behind the counter gave me the plug and I did have the cam with me.( go figures he was more interested in playing with the new robot than helping me)  I'm getting a + 6.5 volts with the red leed in then center of the plug and the black leed outside the plug.  This should be correct.  Can anybody confirm this?

gizz

Reaction score
Dave - are you gonna try the "D" Batt setup? I think it should be a fairly easy mod using the A/C input. Here are some prices/sizes of batt's and a rough guess of life based upon what others have said. I'm going to assume a life of 8 days for the AA's.
****NONE OF THIS IS CONFIRMED BY TESTING - JUST A ROUGH GUESS BASED UPON CURRENT INFORMATION ON THE AA"S

"D" size Nimh - 7500mah - $48 for 4 (40 days)
"C" size Nimh - 3500mah - $32 for 4 (18 days)
"AA" size Nimh - 1700mah - $15 for 4 (8 days)

These prices are rough estimates obtained from Thomas distributing. They can probably be obtained for less if you look around. The main thing is to get the highest capacity you can find. These are pretty high.

Vman - how did you make out with the adapter?

Dang, i really need my D-370.........

vman

Reaction score
I still have to get back to Radio Shack.  Will be going Friday.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Are ya'll looking for the power plug for the camera and if so Jameco carries a lot of different sizes and options in power plugs.  I don't have a D-370 so I can't messure it with my calipers to see what size it is but when I do get one I will look and see.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
Best buy has the AC-power kits, but $20 for the right size plug would be a bit much. If anyone is just taking pics behind their house or garage, I'm sure you could rig up an extension cord, then power would never be a problem?

Otherwise you could just hardwire the camera.

davered1

Reaction score
Gizz,

I stopped and bought a plug for the D-370 yesterday. I got it home and wired it on the D cell pack . Works great. Put it all back in the box(GSI LEXAN,small) and tried to close the door, NO GO. The plug sticks out to far, so it will not work in a 1120 either.

I have a bigger box coming from GSI and it will all fit in there with room for a Slave flash if the need arises as well.

I am going to make a battery pack using ARCHY's methods(dowels and rivets ) today, it is the only way it wil work,in a small case.

I will post plug number later, can't find the package

Dave

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
Davered, I just got a plug from RS, 274-1570A. Works great on the 370. MC.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom