Digiscoped Elk Herd

AZBob

Reaction score
I've just been experimenting with a digital camera and a spotting scope. Here's a picture of an elk herd that's about 3/4 of a mile away.

Attachments

in2blacktail

Reaction score
Pretty cool experiment.
Looks like it worked. Thats a pretty far away herd

hntnnut

Reaction score
Nice pic. What are you using for scoe and camara?

Richard

AZBob

Reaction score
It's a Canon A95 camera, attached to a Leica 62 spotter via a pretty simple adapter. When I needed a new camera, I followed a bird watching forum for a while to see what they were recommending for a current model camera that worked well for digiscoping. I guess there are more considerations than just the megapixels and zoom capability of the camera, it has to do with how large the lens is and how far it extends, etc.. The A95 was one of the favored models.
I've found I need to zoom up the camera to remove the "vignetting" in the photo...that's the black circle around the picture. A tripod is a must, and I've gotten better results using my self-timer to trip the shutter instead of doing it manually and getting a slightly blurry picture.

hntnnut

Reaction score
Thank you, I have a leupold spotting scope and just found out their now making a camara adapter, but I dont have a camara as of yet.

Richard

Top Bottom