Digiscoping. Using a spotting scope with a digital camera

BuckSnort

Reaction score
Hey Jesse check this out... I was glassing this hill and I wanted to see what would happen if I just held my camera up to the spotting scope and took a picture through it.I was supprised how good it worked(not real clear but still pretty cool)

This picture was taken with just the camera at full zoom (optical and digital)

This is a picture of the same big white rock pile taken through the scope.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Bucksnort,

I've done the same thing and the pics are okay, almost as good as that one you got there. The key is to keep the scope and camera very still and use the remote to trip the shutter. If we could come up with a mount to keep the camera and spotting scope together without ruining the lens we might have something. I sketched out a crude aluminum bracket that could go under the scope between the tripod mount. An arm off the bracket would hold the camera up to the scope with a little adjuster for distance. It would be big and bulky but I think it might fly. Now I just need the time to make it and perfect it.

My one big problem is my aluminum guy moved far far away and I need to find a new machinist to bug with my ideas.

Great website Eric. Thsoe pics are amazing. I wanna play too.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
<font face="Tahoma">Hey Jesse,  even though most of my side jobs tend to revolve around 12-packs of beer, I've been known to knock out some pretty decent items in my machine shop.  Cocktail napkin prints are fine.</font>

coyote

Reaction score
Hi Jess

I been digiscopin for 4 months now.   I use the coolpix 995 and a 20-60 x 80mm baush and lomb elite scope.

It's simple and get quite good results too.

light gathering optics [ed glass a bonus] and solid tripods are the only real important gear.

try it...yoteee'

vman

Reaction score
Heres another site they offer an adapter that connects the camera and scope.  eagle bend optics  I have a nice nikon scope now I just have to buy a camera.  Has anybody used the nikon coolpix 995?  

vman

Reaction score
Well went out and tried to get some shots.  All I have right now is my 1.3 olympus.  The pic are kinda blurry.  It was windy and the deer were over 500 yards away.  I can see how a nice camera and adapter would be perfect. pictures

Latest Posts

Top Bottom