Digital cam ...1/2 way there

Dbworld

Reaction score
Got my Kyocera digital cam today from ebay.  It's all wired up and ready to go.  Was relatively easy to do thanks to Brians Mods. I'm going to do some flash test after it gets dark tonight.  Seemed to work pretty well in the dark basement at about 20 feet.  We'll see how it looks in the back yard.   If I was really motivated I'd get my 3d target out of the attic for this test.   Tree is gonna half to do.

I'm waiting on Brian's boards and looking for a nice small enclosure for the whole thing.  

If anybody is looking for me I'll be out at he mailbox waiting......

Can't wait to get it in the woods.

davered1

Reaction score
DBworld,

How much you pay for that camera??

20 ft isn't all bad!!

max

Reaction score
DBworld,
Would like to see those night pictures to see the flash distance....I'm starting to get that Digital Itch Myself!!!
             Thanks  
                          MAX

Dbworld

Reaction score
I paid $100.  Actually I'm finding (already) a whole host of problems with this cam.  I just went outside and took some pictures in the dark....and nothing!!!  In the basement there was a little light, but not much.  I'm guessing the the camera needs some light for it's internal settings.  It has a powerful flash....but in the dark the damn camera flat out isn't using it.

Also another problem with it is that the time doesn't increment when you turn the camera off.  For the game cams you can't leave the digitals on.  They flat out use too much juice.  As far as I'm concerned...no accurate time stamp and it's pretty worthless.  

Oh well...it takes nice daytime pics.  Guess I'll have to settle for those on this camera.

As I'm writing this I decided to try a few more things.   I turned off all the lights in the house and took some pics in the living room (complete darkness) and it lit the room right up in the pic.  So I went outside and took a picture  of a tree...nothing.  Took a picture of the house from the same distance.....lit it right up.  Pic is good.   I'm guessing it has something to do with the double flash that some digitals (this one definately does) have in order to set white balance settings (see my earlier post with a link explaining this).  Hmmmmm....this camera might still work at night as long as you put a big white billboard behind the deer.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Db,
That's weird!  You're saying the cam won't take a pic when pointed off into the woods at night??  Or does it take a pic but won't flash??

If it's not taking a pic at all - maybe there is some option in the cams "setup" that you can choose to 'force' it to take a pic no matter what the conditions are??
>>>>
I've been following the various digital cam threads - trying to decide which one to go with when (if) I can ever afford to try out a digital trail-cam.  Flash power seems to be the major problem so far....  though date saving looks like a runner-up.

Thanks for the info!

Archilochus

davered1

Reaction score
ARCH,

A pioneer like you with NO DIGITAL yet ???

Think I need to lay down!!!

DB,

I think I will have to try one of them. The price compared to the elph makes me think I can live without night pics to!!

Nice job on posting wiring specs to by the way

Dbworld

Reaction score
No what I'm saying is it takes apic and flashes and everything but the pic comes out black.   The flash doesn't seem to happen the same time as the shutter.  I can stand 10 feet from a small tree in the dark and snap a pic and get nothing.  But I can stand at the end of my 20 foot hallway with all the lights off to the point of being pitch black and it looks like daylight down the entire hall. Seems it needs something for the light to bounce back.  

Dbworld

Reaction score
Davered,

I'd like to take credit for the posting the cam modifications...but all I did was save Brian's document as an html document in word and post it on my site.  It was all his documentation.  Excellant job if you ask me.  

So far I wouldn't recommend this camera...I've tried all the settings.  Always flash, auto flash, covering up the little sensor.  Can't seem to get it to work that great or at all outside in the dark.  

Arch,

The date saving thing I really hate.  I can't believe the camera doesn't keep track of the date when the power is off.  If you turn it off at 7:00 pm on April 19...the next time you turn it on it will be April 19 at 7:00 pm...then keep track from that time forward.  Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Everyone,

I know this camera has its problems.  A bunch of which are disappointing.
The only thing I have seen so far is that it is cheap and it takes nice pictures in the daytime.

The time and date is very disappointing.
So is the flash.

I am working on ways to solve them all but unfortunately it takes time.

I am working on the flash first.(kicking my butt right now)

I have the day/night/24hr stuff working already so this will be an option in the future for my boards.

Dbworld

Reaction score
The flash thing is what gets me.  In certain situations it seems pretty powerful and is reflected in the pics.  But I took some in the back yard at night.  And even stuff really close (5 feet) didn't come up?!?!?!?!  Yet 20 feet away in the basement or darkened hallway it lit it up pretty good.

I suspect the camera is getting readings from the pre-flash it doesn't like and that is why the pictures don't come out.   I'm playing with it too,  to see if I can't figure something out with this.   

I question if even one of those dual mode digital flash slaves would help on this camera.  

Not keeping track of the time when turned off to me just seems strange.  

(Edited by Dbworld at 12:05 pm on April 22, 2002)

Dbworld

Reaction score
Regardless of the problems with this camera....I can't wait to get it out in the woods.

davered1

Reaction score
Hey DB,

If you have a "wall" behind you say like a bunch of thick trees does it help at all?

Dbworld

Reaction score
I'm still playing with it.   I took some pics last night at near dark.  I stood same distance (about 15 feet) from the back of my garage (light colored gray) and then a small tree in the middle of the yard and took a picture of both.  The garage came up perfect the tree was barely discernable.  So a wall of trees may work.  Maybe I need to take the camera out in the woods and find a big pine or something and find out what it does.   Though I suspect a lighter colored background is what it needs. 

(Edited by Dbworld at 7:27 am on April 23, 2002)

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Don't know if it would work or not, but how about having a small LED flash infront of the sensor to fake it out before the shutter trips? Just a thought.

Butch

Dbworld

Reaction score
******.....I considered the same exact thing.  Great minds think alike. I was actually thinking about putting a very small flashlight right up to the sensor and see what it does.   I'll try that tonight and let you know.  I already tried the opposite, put my thumb rigtht over the sensor.  Now if that would have worked that would be better then you could just cut the leads to the sensor when modifying.  It didn't.    

Advertisement

Top Bottom