Digital Cam Finished

jayber

Reaction score
After a couple of attempts at wiring the circuit......and several attempts at wiring a stubborn camera, my first digital is complete!  It utilizes a small Lexan box, Canon Elph S100 camera, MS20, and Brians chip & board.  Many thanks to Brian for his chip & board and diagnostic assistance!!!  Check out pics of the unit here:

http://communities.msn.com/JessesTrailCamP...cs1.msnw?Page=3

Things were a tight fit, but I was able to rearrange everything and make it work.  Notice I had to cut the MS20 housing in the back and bottom to make room.  It will be making its maiden voyage to the woods this friday and I hope to have pics to share soon!

bat

Reaction score
jayber, mighty fine job!  good luck with it.  clean looking work.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Great Job Jayber,

Everything looks great.  Where did you get the box?  That is pretty small.

I would have have charged you for the help if I knew you had twenties laying around everywhere.  Just kidding.

Really nice job.

What did you use for the lens to come out and focus so it would not hit the glass.  Looks like a UV lens sleeve or something like that.  

coyotebandit

Reaction score
Nice work! Are those D cells? What kind of battery life are you expecting? Looks like you spent alot of time planning this, and it shows. I'm working on my first micro cam. I'm holding off on the Yashica for now, because of the poor nightime pics.

jayber

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.  And I was waiting for someone to say something about the 20 dollaar bill, but it was all that I had at the time!  LOL

The box is from GSI, their smallest.  I started out with a medium one as I do with my 35mm cams, but as small as the digital is I felt the small box might have a shot.  The bulkiest part was the MS20.  If I had to do it again, I would look at just mounting the MS20 board and not the whole housing.  Then again, you could just make me small board/sensor for that!  HaHa

For the lens sleeve, I bought some PVC pipe and cut it down to around 1/2" tall.  I painted it black separate from the box and then fastened it using silicone.

****** -  I invested in a stout cable lock for this one.  It will only going on private property....I'll tell nobody where it is......and I may even hang it high and/or point a 35mm cam at.  Losing this one would be bad!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
as miniature as that is, I bet those eye bolts are actually only a half inch in diameter  he he

Man u did a neat job!

Tinhorn

jayber

Reaction score
Coyotebandit,
I'm using 4-C cells.  In my 35mm cams I get about 3 months out of them in ~70F ambient, 1.5 months in cold weather.  This will be the first time using Brian's chip & board so we shall see.  I'm guessing the camera battery may go first, but I may be wrong since it powers down after each shot.

Tinhorn,
The eyelets were a bit overkill for the size of the box, but I already had them made up from my 35mm's so I used 'em.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
WOW!!! WOW!!! Good job. That looks real good Jayber. Hope to see pics soon from it. Good luck.

MBullism

Reaction score
NICE work!

I guess you couldn't find a SMALLER enclosure, huh?

What do figure you have into it?  $$$?  (If you don't mind my asking...)

M

INshedpicker

Reaction score
Now why'd you have to go and do that?  Now everyone is gonna want a digital.

:smiley-thumbs-up:

jayber

Reaction score
MBullism,

The cam is the most expensive component.  It's a 2.1 megapixel Elph S100 and I got it off eBay.  I've seen 'em go for $275+.  Beyond that, I spent $36 on Brian's board & chip and another $30 on the box, MS20, eye bolts, wire eyelets, battery holder, switches, etc.

It's an investment, no doubt.....but hopefully not having to wait or pay for film developing pays off!  This is the only way I'd own one, building it myself (and from help here).  I've seen the price of the CamTrakker digital.......OUCH!  That only makes mine even more P-R-I-C-E-L-E-S-S!!!

MBullism

Reaction score
MAN!  I'd have to grow an EXTRA pair to wire that one, especially as a pioneer.  I'm safer in the "world of the owls" for now.  That's what, about 60-75 rolls of film with developing?

I gotta hand it to you guys that do this... pure brass.

M

(Then you gotta leave it in the woods...)

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Jayber or brian,
 I have a question,I want to build a digital cam useing the ELPH s100,can you tell me,If i cut the holes in my enclosure to fit the Canon Owl PF/AF will the holes also be in a useable position for the ELPH? or would the smaller digital cam not line up with the holes for the shutter and flash.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Sorry Passthru but they will not line up.

The ELph is half the size of the Owl PF or less.

They require a different layout to work and the lens on the Elph moves in and out when powered up so you also have to allow for the movement.  THe lens cannot touch anything (that stops movement of the lens) while moving or it will not take a picture.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Thanx Brian,the new enclosure i have coming I was wanting to use for the ELPH,so i guess ill have to save it till i get the cam.

jayber

Reaction score
Good luck with it Passthru.....my Elph was finicky when it came to soldering it!!  Look forward to seeing your completed product as well!

woodsman

Reaction score
Nice cam it must have been a B###h to wire up, I think the canon owl can suck, that one looks half the size GOOD JOB.

TmKarren

Reaction score
Way nice camera...  That is a mini alright.  Those eye bolts make it look like it is going to take right off.  I would love to make one of those one day.  but I have way too many things projects going on right now I'll have to finish up..  Thanks for sharing it.  It's a great looking camera.  You did a great job..  Can't wait to see some of the pictures that thing takes...

Top Bottom