Digital Night Pictures

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
In some earlier discussions there were issues with the night pictures being dark using the d370 using it's standard flash.  Has anything more been resolved with this??  

If I remember correctly, AEH said his Canon's took good night pictures.  Is this correct?

Do you guys have any more night pics posted so I can compare the different cameras.

Thanks,
Todd

Dbworld

Reaction score
When I want night pics I can't seem to get them.  Haven't had my camera out lately due to getting ready for vacation ...etc.  I know ****** has some racoon pics posted here that look pretty good.  

I also have a slave flash added to mine, that SHOULD light up the woods.  Unfortunately I can't seem to get any night pics in the woods.  Night pics of me looks great in the back yard.  Of course you have to consider the subject matter.  I am a beautiful man.   :wink-yellow:

Ultramag1

Reaction score
Db,
You seem to be the 370 man. I have a 370 & 380 ready to go, but was wanting to add a slave before putting it in the woods.  The DSF1 is a out of my price range. Do you have suggestion?  

vman

Reaction score
DB,
How you hooking up a slave flash to the 370?  I assume it must be an internal hook-up with a disconnect.  

davered1

Reaction score
I talked to DB(the digi man) about the slave to. He said it was a digi slave worth $99.

Worth it or not? No-one has a pic to say it is!!

Dbworld

Reaction score
I just turned the digiflash on then put a relay off the rs board like you would with the standard set up.  When the Sensor trips it makes the connection to the power on the external flash thus turning it on.  I haven't been able to get any good woods pics with it...but I know it will work well.  That pesky sealing the shutter off didn't seem to help with the few shots i did have.  I'm on vacation this week, but within the next couple I'm going to get it out there and we'll see how that thing works!!  

sven

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just a tip I have used with my non-gamecam digital camera with night pictures.  When viewing the picture in your photo editing program, try adjusting the brightness setting.  I just use Microsoft Photo Editor that comes with MS Office.  My pics are alway dark looking on my computer screen and by adjusting the brightness of the picture (not the screen) I can see a lot more detail in the background of the picture.

Jon5ja

Reaction score
Hi, Ultramag1 and other D-370 users.  The delay in the link looks like it should work, but to me it looks like you have to tune the timer to suit the delay between flashes from the camera.

I have a circuit of similar complexity and size that I intend to post in the next few days that ignores the first flash, then after some set time, waits for the "real" flash and fires the slave sychronously (within a few microseconds if the slave can do it) without having anything to tune.  My circuit draws virtually no power when "waiting" (it wouldn't move the least significant digit on my meter, which was 10 nanoAmps, before I put in the regulator... now it pulls just over a microAmp), and is opto-isolated from the slave flash unit.

I haven't posted it yet because my D-370 isn't here yet -- it's scheduled for delivery Tuesday.  It works fine with a pair of stagger-fired Canon Owl PFs, though, ha.

I'll post more when I can verify its performance with the D-370.

Jon

gizz

Reaction score
As always, sound good Jon!
I know i'll be waiting to hear the results.

Elk Bowhunter

Reaction score
Ultramag1, when you said "I have a 370 & 380 ready to go" did you mean that you have already wired into the 380? If so, do you wire into the 380 the exact same way you wire into the 370? Have you taken pics with both cameras? Could you post a pic from each one? I want to use the 380 because of the better pic quality, but hate to buy one if they don't have the same wiring.

davered1

Reaction score
Elk Bowhunter,

I was talking to a few different photo shops ad they said that you won't notice any difference in a 4 X 6 or 5 X 7 photo from the 370's 1.3 megapixel to the 380's megapixels.

If someone out there has any 380 pics  post them up so we can see the difference.

I do know that the 380 wires the exact same as the 370.

ToddP made a page with the mods

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Just looking at some pictures from my s200 and I noticed that the night pictures are better when there is nothing in the forground. i.e. trees.   The camera seems to focus or set the white balance or ISO speed or whatever it does on the closest object wheather or not it's in the center of the frame.  It tones down the brightness to highlight the closest object.  Just tested it by having a tree at 15 feet off to one side and walking by at 30 feet.  I could barely see myself.   Rotated the camera some to get the tree out of the picture and walked by at the same distance and there I was.  

You cant always control that, but it's something to think about when setting up the digitals.  You guys try it and see what you think.

davered1

Reaction score
It's true.

check out my latest pictures (370 buck pics) the 370 grabbed ahold of the stump 10' away and focused on it, turned out allright anyways but look at the stump. Hogged half the flash!!

Doesn't mean I learned anything though my  camera is still in the same spot :no no:

:not-worthy::bag-on-head:  

Dbworld

Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing with night pics and the d370.  At home I get this amazing range...in the woods...I can barely see a deer 10 feet away IF there is a small tree it and the camera.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I have noticed the more night pictures I get, the more pictures I can store on a 32 MB card. The 32MB card is rated at 51 pictures in SHQ mode, last time I had 70 pics. I think it has to do with all the black in the pictures, when 1/2 the picture is the same color, it takes less memory than if there are lots of colors, like in daytime pics. Just my opinion of what's happening.

To help the night pics out, I try to set mine up with a clear path to the trail(10-15ft), even if it means I have to break out the machette, or run over some vegetation. :tank:

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll look out for that this weekend when I put mine out. This place is great. MC.

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
To help eliminate this on the D370 I believe you can set the camera to "panoramic" mode. I'll have to go back into the manual to be certain though.

Top Bottom