Digital Question

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Brian,
The external flash and slave you use, is it compatible with the yashica 1.3? Or did you  find special unit that deals with the multiple flash shot?
Also, I was playing around with my slave unit and noticed that the IR remote for my tv will set it off, so will a standard LED if itis close enough. I wonder if an IR led will trigger the slave?
Maybe a peanut style slave mounted to the bottom of a case. An IR LED array mounted on top of thecamera housing, and the flash case hung on the tree above the camera. Trigger the led's with an opto coupler.....
Hmmm, what do you think?

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
shrtcirkt,
Yes.  It is compatible with the Yashica.  I tested it last night.  The ISO rating on the Yashica is only 100 or less so the external flash helps but it doesn't light up the world so to speak.

What do you mean by the multiple flash shot?  You mean when I put the mode of my timer in double picture mode.

This may answer your questions I have a board that is wired into the external flash.  IT is triggered by the PIR letting me know the camera is active.  Then the board will pull in the relay for a given period of time so the unit can charge the flash.  Once the camera uses its auto focus it will fire its onboard infrared led and the slave unit will pick this up as you have seen with your remote and flash with the camera.
The time for the slave to charge up will need to be long enough for the double picture mode to take both pictures.  It is a really simple circuit using a logic gate and a relay.  I am going to try and opto when I get a chance to see if it will work.

I plan on building a new timer that will have this built into it.  All you will need then is a two wire cable connecting the external flash to the deer cam unit.  By using the one wire approach I can address the slave external flash and know by what is going on in the chip whether it is daylight or dark and how long to charge the flash up (whether it is in double picture mode or not).  I am working on this now.

I try to get a schematic of the simple relay/oneshot together later.  I have a picture of my slave unit but I forgot my USB connector to download my pictures.  I may go get it at lunch.

All that stuff you stated my work.  I have always used the slave trigger and all most all cameras(at least the ones I have used so far) already have the infrared led built in and it allows the slave to match the flash at the precise moment the shutter on the camera flashes.  This would be hard to get just right with the camera without using the slave.

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Brian,
The yashica digfital I got actually flashes 2 times in sequence. The slave fires when it senses the first flash which doesnt allow the cam to benefit from it.
This is not in red eye mode.
In red eye mode, the flash triggers once, then triggeres again about .5 seconds later when the shutter trips.
Does your yashica do this?

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Nope mine doesn't do that.  It only flashes once with the flash of the camera.
It is kind of odd that it would flash twice.
Hummm.

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Hmmm is right... I better do some checking... I'll let you all know what I find out...

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Im thinking maybe that's their idea of Red-Eye Reduction.

Red Eye is caused from the pupils being wide open and the flash reflects off the back of your eyeballs.  Maybe the 1st flash is suspose to cause your pupils to constrict then the 2nd flash actually takes the pix.....

Tinhorn

coyotebandit

Reaction score
Mine Flashes twice two, haven't looked into changing the flash mode settings. I just have it set to auto right now. One of these days I'm going to test it out in the woods behind my house, just to see what kind of distance I can get.

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
There isa red eye setting on the flash. when set to red eye, there is a single flash, then about .5 seconds later there is the main flash.
The main flash is more like a strobe, I can count at least 3 seperate flashes during the main flash cycle.

I think you will be disappointed CB, last night I walked out to my back yard and took a pic of my 3d deer from about 6' and could barely make out the outline of it. Not very promising....

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Yep. Not very promising.  I have an external flash unit with mine and it helps.  I noticed that the pictures look better on the computer than they do on the camera screen.  Take a look at the on the computer.  It did seems to help.  I have three pictures of deer without the external flash I will send ya'll to look at.

jayber

Reaction score
I'd like to see the Yashica pics too Brian.....thanks!

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Jayber,

I sent them to you.

These are without the external flash.

jayber

Reaction score
I meant the ones you get with the added flash, but the ones w/o flash will be good for comparison.  Thanks!

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Well, I decided the best thing that I can do with this Yashica is to give it to my daughter to use.
Timeto look for an ELPH.
Brian, did you know that canon has a IR remote fortheir new elph camera?
Price tag for the cam is around $700.00 OUCH!!

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Yeah I am afraid that if the camera doesn't have an ISO rating of 400 then it is difficult to use for nighttime pictures.  I am still going to try and get some pictures with it and the external flash.  Just to see how they look.
You will not be disappointed in the Elph S100.  I have been using it for quite some time and it works great.  With an extended flash it is really great.  The good cameras are just going to be expensive.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
No the S100 doesn't come with a hot shoe.
The elph s100 would definitely benefit from one but doesn't have to have one for normal length shots.

I am working on it now.  I have been stumped with a problem and I think I just about have it licked.  The board will control everything just as you mentioned.  If the Kodak camera I am looking at now will allow me to control it through the RS232 port then that may change things too.

All I can say for sure right now is I have been using the Elph S100 for a couple years now and it works.  The rest of this stuff is in the trial stages.

Go to my website and look at this picture to see a night picture of a buck I passed a couple times in west texas this year. It was taken with the S100 with no external flash.  (yes it was tough letting him go)You can't tell it but he is about 20 inches wide.  I am hoping he will be allowed to live two more years but if he will score 150 or better next year he will probably not make it.

http://briang.netfirms.com/page16.html

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Good grief, you passed that up, but then I saw a pic of the one you killed.  Nice one.  

My 1.3 flashes two or three times as well.  It will do ok during the day though.  I want to watch my bucks grow their horns this year.  Film would get pretty expensive behind the house.

Brian, email the ez1.3 pics too please

Top Bottom