Digitals under $100....Kodak,RCA,UMAX

cedar N sandy

Reaction score
I check the electronics section of WalMart almost weekly mainly looking for another Owl PF. I have noticed a growing number of digital cameras for less than $100... many under $70. Do any of you guys/gals have one of these and do they have any good qualities to offer.  

gizz

Reaction score
CEDAR --- STOP!!! DON"T DO IT!
I have a Cheapo UMAX astracam 1000 figuring it would be enough take quickies and post to the net. The pictures from this cam(at least mine) leave a lot desired.  The pics are always blurry and never centered. I believe there are probably O.K. cheaper cameras out there but not the UMAX astracam. I'd be interested in knowing where the $ threshold between good and bad is but I don't believe it's under $100. Save your money towards a decent one that's what I'm doing.
Oh - Anyone interested in buying a really nice umax astracam 1000??

Nino

Reaction score
I just bought an El cheapo from Kmart.  I think it's called a "Jam cam".  It was about $50 and includes a serial cord and USB cord.  Ad looked like it was a big sale and next time I was in Wal Mart, I found the same cam for regular price of $50.  I bought it just to take quick shots and email them to friends.  The quality depends on the distance of the shot.  Looking in the book it says the focus range is 3 to 8 feet.  If you are in this range the quality is great, anything farther and it is really blurry.  It depends on what you want to use it for.

cedar N sandy

Reaction score
gizz,
 I had hoped you would tell me about your UMAX.....I saw in another post that you had one. Thanks for the info.....I will wait on a better cam..something like Jesse is using probably.

Nino,
  Thanks for your reply......3-8 feet won't get it for me.....I want to be able to take a pic at long range and go home and pull out what I want from the pic. Probably going to have to come off a chunk of change......but isn't that the beauty of a "real" digital cam........blow up what you want out of a pic to make it look like you were meer feet away? I have a lot to learn in this field.  

Richard Webb

Reaction score
I purchased an AGFA ePhoto CL18 at Circuit City for $50, and it seems to work best displaying pictures on a regular television set.  For example, I took my son fishing today, and he caught 15 fish (11 Stripers & 4 catfish)  I took a picture of him holding up each fish before we released them.  When we returned home I plugged the ePhoto into the television, and showed my wife all 15 pictures.  It also seems to work pretty good for scenery pictures, and I have a photo album posted in the Freshwater Fishing Section under a thread named Naci Pics (or a similar name?).  I was surprised to get two CDs full of software with the package.  The only negative is that I had to put out $80 up front, and I am still waiting for the $30 rebate.  On the positive side, the camera is surely worth the $80, so I win either way.  By the way, the flash leaves a lot to be desired, so we don't use it.

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Richard,

Thanks for the info on the AGFA.  Think I'll pick one up.

BTW, if you want to brag about your son catching 15 fish, just come right out and say it.  There's no shame in being a proud poppa.  You don't have to camo it in the digital camera thread.  (just kiddin').

Regards,
Paul

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Paul,

This is the first year that the kid is fishing with a man sized outfit. Last year he was still using the K-Mart spider (what ever they call that thing?)  Can't wait until he is old enough for a junior either-sex deer tag.  That will be when I upgrade to a top of the line digital camera.

Richard

Richard Webb

Reaction score
I finally received my $30 rebate check from AGFA, so it takes 4 months.

Top Bottom