Directions to JHP Coyote Hunt

songdog

Reaction score
Ok, I finally made it out there and have concrete directions.

From the I-5 north take the 166 West towards Taft/Maricopa.  When you get to Maricopa (glorified truckstop) make sure you stay left at the stop sign and continue on the 166.  It's easy to bend right and end up north on the 33.  The Texaco in Maricopa is your last chance for gas, ice, etc.

Four miles West of Maricopa you'll start heading up a decent grade.  8 miles from Maricopa you will see an old beat up Union 76 station on your right.  This is the corner of Soada Lake Rd.  Turn right on Soda Lake Rd.  After about three miles (now going north) you'll enter the BLM parcel (UTM coordinates - 11 273589E 3874657N).  There's a sign and a small kiosk.  Continue on Soda Lake Rd.  After 19.5 miles from when you turned off the 166 you will see the sign for the campground next to an old rustic water wagon.  The campground is located about 300 yards off the road to the left (UTM coordinates - 11 250674E  3886486N).

The campground has a couple of pit toilets, picnic tables and fire rings.  Not much else.  It's pretty easy to find though.

The roads are in good shape.  Your average Honda could make it out there right now.

It was pretty cold when I drove out there this morning.  I'd be prepared for the 30s at night.

There were also a bunch of crows and more ground squirrels than I expected to see for this time of year so you might want to throw in a few extra rounds for good measure.

I'll be out there late Thursday night in my red/white Bronco.  Can't make any promises as to how long I'll be there as we had the surprise invasion of the in-laws for the holidays (oh yippie!).

Hook

Reaction score
Thanks Songdog for making the trip out there. Thonzberry and I will be out there early thursday afternoon. We will be driving a white Dodge 4x4 and a white Ford with a camper on it.
Does anyone know if they allow atv's out there? I was planning on bringing my yamaha 400 kodiak to help get around.

Hope to see everyone there...

(Edited by Hook at 1:53 pm on Dec. 25, 2001)

Kernhuntr

Reaction score
Hook, you can run you're quads on the roads that are not the main (Soda Lake Rd.)road.  Just be mindful of the posted signs about offroad use, and bring a helmet. They are pretty serious about this. It's is really a good way to get around up there, as there are a bunch of roads to explore if you have time. The only problem is they are MOSTLY conected by Soda lake Rd.
Good Luck....Kernhntr.

Hook

Reaction score
Kernhunter thanks for the info. I just did'nt want to grag it all the way up there just to leave it in camp. :smile-big-blue:

(Edited by Hook at 9:21 pm on Dec. 25, 2001)

Brian S

Reaction score
  I should be there thursday night depending on how long the drive is from outside of L.A. I have a maroon 94 chevy z71 truck, and if I'm up to it I'll drag out my 4 wheeler too. I went to the range this weekend and loaded up the .270 mag with some 100 grain surface to coyote missles. Tonight I'll dig up some of the old lead duck loads for those crows.
Brian

Hook

Reaction score
mjohns, it's tomorrow, thursday the 27th to sunday the 30th. I know this doesnt give you too much advanced notice but it should be a good time with quite a few people coming out.

I hope you can make it out.  

mjohns2

Reaction score
If a white Honda Civic can make it, I might make it up there Friday morning, but have to leave Friday evening.

Do I bring my shotgun or my 30.06 rifle?

Im also a newbie, if you couldn't tell, will that be ok?

(Edited by mjohns2 at 9:01 am on Dec. 26, 2001)

(Edited by mjohns2 at 7:29 am on Dec. 27, 2001)

yotegetter

Reaction score
I'll be heading up there friday at about 3:00 a.m. with my girlfriend. I have a 99 Ford silver F-150, single cab.

mjohns2 - bring both of them! I'll probably be taking my 30-30 and a 12 gauge along with a .22 for the ground squirrels.

Hey Brian it should take you no longer than 2 hours to get there. Takes me about an hour and a half.

Brian S

Reaction score
Thanks yotegetter I have never been there. I hope I get a chance to meet up with a couple of you guys before I have to head back. Who else is going to be there for thursday night/friday morning.

mjohns2

Reaction score
Dam. I have another question. I have a regular hunting license. Is that suffient?

Hook

Reaction score
Yes,  a regular hunting license with a bird stamp, will be sufficient unless you run into some pigs. Then you will need a tags.

mjohns2

Reaction score
Are there different kinds of bird stamps or will any do?

Sorry for all the newbie questions

22 250

Reaction score
Songdog, we will get there early Thursday morning.  We being Glenn, my son and me.   Will be driving a silver Isuzu Rodeo.  My daugher may show up on Friday morning.  We will all be leaving Friday night.  See you there.

Kernhuntr

Reaction score
Wish I could make it boys (and girls), good luck. And by the way don't expect to see pigs on this trip. They stay more to the West from where you'll be and aren't in the lowlands now. We hit them pretty hard last month and they've taken to mostly private land. But who knows someone may get lucky!!! But do all of us regulars in the area a favor and give the yotes a good wack.

Kernhuntr.

mjohns2

Reaction score
I feel like i beating a dead horse but I'll ask anyways. If I make it, (I bought my bird stamp today and got my brakes fixed too) what should I bring meat, drinks, beer???

Hook

Reaction score
Bring what you need to get through the number of days you are gonna be there. I dont think that anyone will go hungry or thirsty..

paulc

Reaction score
i will be leaving late morning early afternoon on sat from riverside (i have to work sat am) anyone going from the riverside area that wants to ride shotgun let me know.. all my kids are with my parents and i have a free pass for the weekend..
i will be driving a red ford f250 4x4.
email me if you want to go up that late.

Brian S

Reaction score
Songdog is it anything goes for bullets or is it a shotgun only area?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom