Disappointed with new Leaf River

bob101

Reaction score
Really disappointed with my new Leaf River IR unit I received today. I ordered it to use in place of a homebrew because the order to pixcontroller is in lalal land now for a while.

At a measured distance of 15 feet at night using every possible combination of resolution etc... a person at a walk that you can't almost tell your moving comes out so blurry your lucky to tell if it's a person or bigfoot. At a distance of 10 feet if you stand perfectly still and move one arm to trigger the camera at night you barely able to tell the target is a human - barely.

To be able to see detail such as say something as a person having a head you have to be within 3-4 feet period.

Not sure this IR thing is ready for primetime after seeing these pics and the ones from my buddies new Cuddeback No flash.....

PaPaBob

Reaction score
Send it back and buy yourself a Sony S600. Been getting them off Ebay for about $115 plus 15 shipping. There are guys that will do the mod and IR conversion for about $40. Then with a great Pix LE board in an 1040 case you will certainly have a great IR camera. You don't need a slave flash as the S600 has a great flash and you can get a 1" circle IR filter to flood the area with IR light. The S600 also can be set with up to a 1000 ISO setting. I have seen IR pics with a rig like this showing detail out to 60 feet. Amazing.

bob101

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaPaBob @ Aug 2 2006, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Send it back and buy yourself a Sony S600. Been getting them off Ebay for about $115 plus 15 shipping. There are guys that will do the mod and IR conversion for about $40. Then with a great Pix LE board in an 1040 case you will certainly have a great IR camera. You don't need a slave flash as the S600 has a great flash and you can get a 1" circle IR filter to flood the area with IR light. The S600 also can be set with up to a 1000 ISO setting. I have seen IR pics with a rig like this showing detail out to 60 feet. Amazing.[/b]
I'm in the process of building a Sony S40 non IR...but I'm waiting on Pixcontroller to sort thru their shipping deals I guess. The first one it took em more than a week to email me and tell me they were out of part XXX. Then they shipped it without part XXXX after 2 weeks. Then part of that order was messed up so I ordered another and haven't heard from them. There's a discussion on another board about people waiting on a response or shipping for a month now.

I hope to get it finished but I'm looking at less than a few weeks till season opens on this limited draw spot I'm in on.

After further playing around the Leaf River shoots decent video but the actual pics are pretty bad.

Not to be a total gripe but I ran some university research with homemade cameras back in the mid 90's (35mm obviously we laughed when someone said "Use a digital camera" like who could afford that...) and the technology doesn't seem like it's advanced as far as I had hoped it would in the past 10 years. In some ways they are better because it's digital - a little clearer, and a LOT more convenient but overall in 10 years it's not that much improved overall.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a bad cam bob1o1. I've seen some pretty good Leaf River IR cam pics posted here and on other forums. Try and get a return going and a new cam. LR has good customer service.

As PPBob mentioned, the homebrew IR cams are the shizzle. Longer range flash and they are just so sharp and clear.

As fas a no progress for IR in 10 years, I'd have to disagree. The differences are there. I've got a Recon Talon I use and it does a good job out to 25 feet. Even with those good black and white pics, I just love color pics too much and use color cams the most.

bob101

Reaction score
I didn't mean to imply no improvement in 10 years as far as IR goes. But in overall camera ability when you look how far digital cameras/computers and other consumer electronics for the most part the pictures you get today look a lot like the ones we got 10 years ago - the main improvement has been in convenience such as not having to have film developed and longer run time with a memory card etc...

I hope to have my homebrew soon as I get the parts.

But homebrews aren't really an option for using them at work. My building a homebrew was sort of an advance research looking into buying some mass quantities to use here for census work. No way I can pay a tech by the hour to sit thru and homebuild 500-700 units which is what we have now with various commercial units accumulated over the past 8-10 years of every possibly make and model spread across the entire state and multiple wma's and we want to narrow that down to 1 type of camera so that we can a consistent trigger range and 1 type of media card (some of ours are still film).

BigSwad

Reaction score
Well we checked out my buddies camera this past weekend and it is an Leaf River IR and I was very happy with the results. It took 1400 pictures and I would say only about 10 of the first 400 we looked at were very blurry. The rest seemed quite nice. We have ours setup at a feeder and that may help as the critters stand more still. But overall, it seemed to do quite well.

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
I've been very pleased with my LR IR. I usually don't get blurry pics unless the animal is moving at a brisk pace. And I never get blurry images when I run the camera in movie mode.

Top Bottom