• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

DIY hunt in maui?

komodo_28

I just found this website while looking up DIY hunts in Maui and so far it is great! I was going through some threads and read that unit E in maui is bow only, is this true? I will be coming to Maui in mid April and will be staying for two weeks and would love to do some hunting for pigs and possibly goats if I can find a place. I am going to Arrow One for axis deer and Would rather not pay a guide and trophy fee for pigs or goats, and I am not looking for huge animals just average. If any of you have any suggestions please let me know!

pathfyndr

no luck huh? im heading out to OAHU next week wednesday and seems to be bow season for pigs, wanted to get one for a BBQ for my guys that i am taking with me to do some work out there, we will be there until March 2nd so hopefully a local can hook us up. have you traveled with your bow to hawaii? whats the protocols on traveling with your bow and equipment?

komodo_28

I think I will just be going to the public land to hunt. From the best of my knowledge there are not many protocols on a bow but i is very different with a rifle. Let me know how you do

pathfyndr

Still debating, hate to take my bow and possibly have the nimrods at the airport "lose or misplace" it.

mossyoakhntr05

LANAI LANAI LANAI...... DIY nothing beats Lanai its beautiful country loads of animals some bruisers too, plus youll have a shot at mouflon as well. That island is Hawaii's best kept sportsmans secret, i love that place so much i am considering moving there!!!!!!!!!!!! LOADS OF ANIMALS!!!!!!!1

Glass eye

I'm on the big island in July. Anyone got the same info for hunting there on public land?
Mauna Kea has lots of public land, the whole Is does for that matter.

And as Mossyoak stated " LANAI...LANAI....LANAI..." Don't pay $1500 to shoot one on Maui when they can be taken with a bow on Lanai for $60. Take the 45 min ferry ride from Lahaina.

huntnbob

mossyoak...i will be in maui in nov...maybe you can throw some hints on lanai for that time...is there private land aand how do the locals take to tourist hunting

Glass eye

mossyoak...i will be in maui in nov...maybe you can throw some hints on lanai for that time...is there private land aand how do the locals take to tourist hunting
Most ( if not all) axis deer will have shed their antlers in NOV. Locals don't care much for tourist, but if they see you wearing camo or hunter orange....you're not a tourist, you're a "hunta" and they'll love to talk story with you.

mossyoakhntr05

Lani, yea well everyone always says shoot me a PM but the way i see it is glass eye is right youre not a tourist if your wearin camo haha.... but as glass eye said axis will be shed antler by then HOWEVER!.!.!.! there are quite a few sheep there! if your willing to put time in for a day or two you can take a good animal with some patience and luck! you pay the lani company licence few (60) for bow for a year or (275) i think for a day gun hunt still worth it as it s the cheapest hunt ill ever pay for.....

rodneyshishido

Unit E is archery only. It has pigs, but, I have never seen goats there. You can hunt in the rifle area with a bow, the only requirement is that you need to wear blaze orange. I hunt the Kula Forest Reserve with a rifle. I hunt the "thick stuff" and the vast majority of my shots are under 35 yards. The first pig this year was shot at about 15 yds, the 2nd at about 15 feet, the 3rd at about 20 feet and the 4th at about 40 yds. The pigs in the forest reserve are generally not that big. The majority of sows will dress out at under 100 lbs. The boar I got last Saturday dressed at I think about 150 lbs.

Top Bottom