DIY skull mount issues

chargersfan

Reaction score
I have 9 skull mounts hanging in my garage. Over the years the hair has started to fall out of most of them. The mount I have from this last season is still good but I'd like to prevent that. Any ideas how to prevent this from happening or what might be causing it? I figure it's either bugs or heat. Thanks in advance for any help.

Wild1

Reaction score
I'm thinking you meant "shoulder mounts", as skull mounts wouldn't have any hair. In any case, could be a number of things (hard to tell without pictures). Your theory that it could be bugs or heat could certainly be the case - both cause hair slippage. It can get pretty hot in most garages - not a good place for shoulder mounts. Could be moths or beetles, in that case (and it sounds too late), you need to fumigate the garage, more than once, because of the stages of eggs/larvae hatching. Other reasons include poor taxidermy work and careless field care. Generally speaking, the garage is no place for the long-term health and well-being of shoulder mounts. Good luck.

CL&RR

Reaction score
What Wild1 said. I always advise my customers I won't guarantee anything if you put your mounts in the garage or over an active fireplace. Heat and moisture will destroy those mounts. If hair is falling off you most certainty have critters in which your mounts are pretty much toast. Fumigate and call it a loss.

dthome

Reaction score
CLRR: How should mounts be treated to prevent insect damage?

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Don't know if DIY is regarding the mounts or fixing the mounts but in either case, without pictures you are the only one seeing the degradation of your mounts.
I'm a not so proud graduate of the "Northwestern School of Taxidermy" and I can tell you (even though there was lots of Borax used) my mounts sucked and they smelled bad.
Don't know how much they mean to you but you may consider consulting a professional taxidermist to see what they say.
I have none of my mounts left and I don't have any professional mounts but i do have one rule or guideline when it comes to liking the way a mount looks...... It simply has to look like it's not dead.
If i was in your boat the worst case would be to get rid of the excelsior, the old borax, the somewhat harry hide and turn em into euro mounts or put the antlers on a nice wooden plaque.

Wild1

Reaction score
dthome -

Check with McKenzie or Van Dykes - most guys I know use cedar wood oil, but there are other products also.

dthome

Reaction score
Thx Wild1. Do you rub the oil directly on the fur of your bear hide?

Last edited:

CL&RR

Reaction score
A properly tanned and mounted deer should have no bug issues. Bug issues from my experience come from improperly prep capes and skull plates and from preexisting bugs either at the taxidermist or in the home (from other mounts). I've seen entire trophy rooms get wasted from one infested mount. Like Wild1 says there's those product that can protect against it but if it's already brewing from underneath it's probably too late.

Top Bottom